Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Tendonitis? The worst. Have you tried a hammer grip for your curls and pull ups/downs? It really helped me work around it when I had it. A compression support helps too. I tried resting it once and quickly found the total wait required to eradicate it was not tenable. Work around the only option.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Hammer Curls makes it worse.. though close grip/Neutral Lat Pulls are okay.. I had it on my right elbow a while back and it's sorted now.. this two weeks off has been okay.. just little niggles and I've been doing all the trigger point release stuff too.. so hopefully I'm on the tail end of it.. the right wrist one is my main concern. it feels like the ulna keeps separating from the wrist and is very painful when I do heavy curls. I'm gonna try and do some compression straps to see if that keeps it in check.. the straps on my gloves haven't helped though.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Just popping in to say that it's good to see the low carb diets are working for the Australian cricket team. :up:
-------------------------------------
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Been real hard at it the last 6 weeks! Heavy lifting with 5 to 10 minutes of HIT at the end of each session 3 to 4 times a week.

Dropped 12kg and I'm now sitting under 95kg woooooo!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Why do we try to reduce inflammation with injuries?
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Inflammation is pain. Reduce it and reduce the discomfort of injury. Non steroid anti-inflammatory drugs help reduce pain. Steroids and peptides heal muscle injuries quicker.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Poor baby must have injured himself bicep curling a Whopper.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It's even more retarded than that. Playing cricket I pretty much smashed my ankle rather than the ball.

Ok so managing inflammation is managing pain. Just that people keep telling me to keep it elevated as well, but that is painful and I couldn't work out why it'd be bad to not elevate it.

Cheers.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

http://www.journalofdairyscience.org/article/S0022-0302(15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)00141-1/abstract?cc=y=

Third party summary:
Overly simplistic explanation, but bovine milk increases cellular growth in humans. This, in turn, has a ton of explanations that cannot exactly be explained 'like you're 5 year old', but increased cellular growth is associated with a vast variety of conditions, notably obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, cancer and diseases such as Alzheimer's disease. But please don't take this as 'drinking milk causes cancer', I'm merely saying that the physiological mechanisms related to cellular growth are also related to those diseases.

Now for the non-ELI5 version... Basically, they show that bovine milk contains biologically active microRNAs, which increase post-translational regulation of gene expression. This, in turn, inhibits autophagy; the mTOR complex 1 phosphorylates certain proteins that normally interact with the Serine/threonine-protein kinase ULK1, thus preventing the latter from being acquired by the preautophagosomal plasma membrane. As a result, the autophagosome cannot deliver their cytoplasmic components to the lysosomes, since they're never formed, and so, destruction of dysfunctional cellular components never takes place. In conclusion, regular consumption of bovine milk might be another risk factor for carcinogenesis, metabolic syndrome and neurodegenerative diseases.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

When citing a published study to help further an agenda, I recommend actually reading said study.
Bovine raw milk is used widely in many dairy products and is an important food source. Therefore, additional studies regarding the physiological and biological roles of these functional RNA are needed. The current data describing RNA in bovine raw milk whey-derived exosomes might facilitate future studies.
I shall continue to consume vast quantities of whey protein.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Do you think the promotion of cellular growth could explain why Dutch people are so tall? Cos they've always eaten a lot of milk and cheese for hundreds of years?

I knew hormonal/immuno/signalling aspects of milk were being taken up and activating when drinking cows milk, I could tell that would happen instinctively.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Don't know and to be honest, don't care. All I care about is the most efficient and effective way/s to get in the best shape/health/performance possible.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:

That's rich.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

itch wrote:Do you think the promotion of cellular growth could explain why Dutch people are so tall? Cos they've always eaten a lot of milk and cheese for hundreds of years?
So that's their secret. I put my neck out multiple times on a three stop suburban train ride in Amsterdam due to the median attractiveness of Dutch people.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

I know they're pretty shmexy.

Germans are good too. Swedes. Nords. English people... not so much.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I think I'm going to have a break from squatting. The back squat is such a dominant, macho lift so it feels incomplete not to have it in the program. My lower back has been taking longer to come up after heavy compound days. A one year old requiring constant picking up, walking around and a host of related, bent over activity will do that. I had a crack at the Hammer Strength V-Squat yesterday (Sunday leg day) to give the lower back a break. Thought it would be an abbreviated leg day but I can confirm I'm still Monday's slowest guy in the stairwell. The one at my gym stops below parallel too. I'm one of those extra long femur guys which means I'm mechanically challenged when it comes to squats. There's a lot of lower back in my squatting so the V-squat actually hit my quads harder.

tl:dr - don't be afraid to take a break from the three big lifts - barbell squat, barbell deadlift, barbell flat bench.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You can always do variations. Hex bar, incline bench, leg press etc.

I get regular massages and since I started doing it my lower back issues with squats/deads have disappeared and the numbers have been flying up. Good times.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

I'm not squatting atm... As much as I prefer to do them.. I'm classic deadlifting and super setting it with leg press. Weirdly enough it's been the only thing to get my quads on fire.
Also doing stiff leg dead lifts and super setting with seated hamstring curls to hit the lower hamstrings as it appears I've slightly overdone my upper hammy and glute strength. So far it's working a treat :)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yep, fuck it. I'm not doing squats either.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Regular massages. I love these glimpses into my past life before I became a parent. :D

Actually given this is relevant to the thread I should mention my becoming a parent hasn't stopped me training consistently. The make or break on such a thing is whether your partner trains too. Mine does. Therefore we accommodate each other's schedule. I train after the boy goes down for his night sleep. Sunday to Thursday evenings. Elisa trains early morning. I know I'm very lucky. If your partner doesn't train then you can kiss that 5 day split goodbye.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Can barely comprehend what I'm seeing here.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

The barbell squat break continues. I've been using this for a good, deep (below parallel) squat movement. It's a 2001-ish vintage machine, smooth cable, good weight stack.

So my leg session comprises:

Freemotion squat - 6 sets (two warm up sets followed by 4 heavy)
Alternalte leg press - 4 sets
Leg extension - 4 sets
Lying leg curl (Hammer Strength) - 4 sets
Seated calf raise - 4 sets.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

PB'ed legs yesterday, avoiding the stairwell today. To elaborate on alternate leg press - my gym has a monster 45 deg leg press you can adjust/unlock so there's one foot plate per leg. So alternate leg press is literally that - one leg comes down, the other goes up. Great exercise. Hard as nails. You get excellent depth when alternating legs and your core gets hit as you brace to keep your torso straight.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

I did my first weights session in two weeks today. Upper body. Nothing crazy as I'm still between programs. Just enough to move things around and enjoy feeling the pump. I'm currently in Hoi An, Vietnam using a very basic gym (the lat pull down cables are like bike chains!) but everything feels okay. My brach radialis tendon issue has pretty much gone now two. Next program looking to get my bar curls up to. 50kg for 6reps.