SONY CONFIRM THEY HAVE CEASED ALL PS VITA GAME DEVELOPMENT!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

SONY CONFIRM THEY HAVE CEASED ALL PS VITA GAME DEVELOPMENT!

Post by Jasper »

Breaking News.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
During an appearance today at Europe's EGX gaming event, PlayStation executive Shuhei Yoshida made comments that suggest a successor to the PlayStation Vita may not be in the cards. Asked about a PlayStation Vita 2, Yoshida said the current video game climate is "not healthy" for such a platform to exist due in part to the rise in popularity of gaming on smartphones and tablets.
R.I.P SONY HANDHELD GAMING!

For those unaware, the PS Vita has been a colossal failure selling approximately 12 million units (compared to the 3DS which has sold approximately 55 million units), and with only four PSV games ever selling over a million copies, with Uncharted: Golden Abyss being the best selling PSV game at under 1.5 million copies (compared to the 3DS which has 40 games that have sold over a million copies, including multiple games that have sold over 10 million copies each).

To mark the death of Sony's handheld gaming interests, I would like to end this post with a few direct quotes from Sony...
“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, on comparing PSP to DS in an interview with MCV
"PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto, and Sony is the only company that can do it."

Kaz Hirai, Chairman & Group Chief Executive Officer of Sony Computer Entertainment, on PSP vs DS
“Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokemon.”

Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment’s Worldwide Studios
“You can look at the software that they sell. All their licensed kid stuff. So, what we’re doing with the PlayStation Portable is really establishing a new marketplace, and establishing, frankly, a new beachhead.”

Peter Dille, Sony US Senior Vice President of Marketing, on comparing PSP to DS
Last edited by Jasper on 24 Oct 2015 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: SONY DUMPS HANDHELD GAMING - CONFIRM NO SUCCESSOR TO PS

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Bring on the Xperia Play 2!!!
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I own both handhelds. Vita is vastly superior.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I play my PS4 games on my Vita when the telly is occupied. Can you do that on the 3DS? No, the 3DS isn't capable so that handheld is irrelevant to me.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Title needs to be changed to SONY TAKES DUMP ON IRRELEVANT 3DS.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Bahahahahahahaha...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I wonder if Nintendo will make successor to the 3DS or if they'll just scrap a standalone handheld altogether.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Last generation for dedicated handheld devices. iPhone put paid to that. Looking forward to the inevitable 3rd party Nintendo will become and look forward to their games making an appearance on Play Store/iOS/Steam.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Rorschach wrote:Last generation for dedicated handheld devices. iPhone put paid to that. Looking forward to the inevitable 3rd party Nintendo will become and look forward to their games making an appearance on Play Store/iOS/Steam.
It's inevitable, unless Nintendo try to combine their console and handheld into one, I mean it's not like the Wii U has had many massive sellers this gen compared to the Wii.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

With the proliferation of smart phones and failure of vita it was obvious that Sony wouldn't return to handheld gaming. They're better off releasing a xperia gaming phone to service that market.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

You have got to be kidding me? :?

Mobile phones are a HUGE reason for Sony's losses, and it's literally their most unprofitable division.

In fact Sony themselves just recently stated they are strongly considering exiting the mobile phone market - because the division is that much of a disaster.

So no - I would not be expecting an Xperia Gaming Phone.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Sony getting out of mobile phones, Nintendo getting into mobile phones as part of their 1st party exit strategy.

Advance Wars would be perfect on my Galaxy Note 4.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Looking forward to LTTP on my iPad personally.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Could someone please start an official thread discussing Nintendo games we're most looking forward to as a 3rd party? I don't want to derail Jasper's thread.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

I love how the only post from another member so far that actually pertains to this major video game related matter at hand is from Lestat (and to some extent Ambrose Burnside, even though it was barely a sentence).

Everything else is from turd forum members (all of whom are over the hill) making the same dumb joke over and over again a million times and actually being delusional enough to think they are funny. :redface:

You would think something as significant as Sony exiting the handheld gaming industry would induce some rather interesting conversation here at Games Ranch like it has over at NeoGAF, but I guess not. :?
Last edited by Jasper on 28 Sep 2015 08:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Candy Arse wrote:Could someone please start an official thread discussing Nintendo games we're most looking forward to as a 3rd party? I don't want to derail Jasper's thread.
Did you not read this? That is actually an awesome topic to consider - which Nintendo games would go best on different mobile devices? :up:
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Jasper wrote:I love how the only post from another member so far that actually pertains to this major video game related matter at hand is from Lestat (and to some extent Ambrose Burnside, even though it was barely a sentence).

Everything else is from turd forum members (all of whom are over the hill) making the same dumb joke over and over again a million times and actually being delusional enough to think they are funny. :redface:

You would think something as significant as Sony exiting the handheld gaming industry would induce some rather interesting conversation here at Games Ranch like it has over at NeoGAF, but I guess not. :?
I bought my vita for fighting games on the go. Hopefully sony keeps making new handhelds for us hardcore gamers. I really think mobiles are not game machines but really non'core gamers. It's just that 3ds is doing well that has helped to kill vita but like the wii u the games on it are great. The portable stuff like dragon's crown, soul sacrifice, gravity rush, port of persona 4, rayman legends, that ea need fir speed game, minecraft etc they ALL do what they intended to do great. You can play final fantasy 10 on the bus and play older ps1 titles like FF7-9 crom ps1 days.

Sony and nintendo need to just ignore mobile phone gamers imo. They are not real gamers. You just can't play a fighting game or GTA without buttons ok??? The phone gamer is like a pc gamer without a mouse or keyboard. I think if monster hunter was on vita the stoey would be different. I am disapointed pso 2 never came out to handheld. I loved PSO Zero on the DS.

Btw the vita is great for playing older psp games on it like street fighter alpha 3, thanks to awesome dpad. As I said, phone gamers can't do that because its touch screen only. You can only going to play point and click adventure games. And you can do that on the vita TOO. There is lucasarts one on the psn store. Vita just needs to care about asia since most of the appeal is from japanese devs. Americans have huge hands and get cramps playing on portables imo. The asians like portables. I will support jrpg and action games because they are better with buttons. Mobile games are like what pc gamers are to home console owners. They have large userbase but they miss out on exclusives worth playing on the native devices.

Mobile phone gamers and pc gamers are like zombies that outnumber us, but we are the survivalists which can control our bodies better. Who in thier right mind would play a game like Shovel knight on pc with keyboard when its meant to be a console or handheld title? And on the bus you get 3d so it looks better. No need to go home to play it. The zombies will eventually die off and convert to true gaming devices once they turn from being casual or softcore into hardcore gamers. I don't give a fuck that your 5 year old daughter wants to see sonic or mario on touchscreen. You can control then way better on handhelds.
Sure graphics may not match the phones, but hardcore gamers know the controls are everything.

if you want to play touchscreen stuff like grim fandango you can still do it on vita. But you can switch to buttons and dpad for fighting games. None of the apple tards care about that since they are not proper gamers. They would think playing piano is ok to do with thier toes, so nobody who buys games gives a fuck how much money those companies make.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Here is a new game that came out for vita:
this is proof the vita is not dead.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

operation abyss is another one, this is an etrian odyssey style dungeon crawl game:
Loads of japanese rpg stuff but you got to remember that gaming on the go is different due to battery life. Certain games are more suited for that.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Spot on article from Kotaku as to the true reason PS Vita failed....
Mobile Gaming Didn't Kill The Vita -- Sony Did

I have long been a fan of the PlayStation Vita. So this quote from one of Sony’s head honchos about portable gaming seriously bums me out.

Here’s Shuhei Yoshida at a recent Q&A, as transcribed by Eurogamer, when asked if Sony will ever develop a Vita successor:

“That’s a tough question. People have mobile phones and it’s so easy to play games on smartphones. And many games on smartphones are free, or free to start. I myself am a huge fan of PlayStation Vita and we worked really hard on designing every aspect. Touch-based games are fun - there are many games with really good design. But having sticks and buttons make things totally different. So I hope, like many of you, that this culture of playing portable games continues but the climate is not healthy for now because of the huge dominance of mobile gaming.”

This is nonsense. The climate is fine. Nintendo has sold over 50 million 3DSes and they don’t even have Minecraft. There’s no doubt that mobile gaming has had a huge impact on the traditional video game industry, but when it comes to the Vita flopping, Sony has nobody but themselves to blame.

Here is a partial list of reasons the Vita has failed:

* Sony decided to gouge customers by forcing them to use proprietary memory cards, then jacking up the prices to obscene levels. (A 32GB Vita memory card retails for $100; standard 32GB SDHC memory cards cost $18.)

* Sony marketed the Vita as a portable system with “console-quality gaming,” then went on to pack it with shoddy spinoffs like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Call of Duty: Declassified, and Resistance: Burning Skies.

* Despite all this, a subset of hardcore gamers quickly realized that the Vita was a fantastic machine for indies and niche Japanese games. So what did Sony do? They decided to pivot it as a portable accessory to the PS4—as if anyone would dish out an extra $250 to play Destiny on the toilet.

* Vita owners also realized that the machine is fantastic for playing old PS1 and PSP games. Sony saw how much money they could make there, and they immediately filled out the PlayStation Store, pleasing fans with truckloads of classic new games every week. Just kidding. They ignored it. Even today you need to use a silly shortcut just to get some old games working on your Vita.

* Remember the PS2? One of the most successful video game consoles in history? Chock full of great games that could be ported to the Vita in various ways? Someone should remind Sony.

* Remember BioShock Vita? lmao

* Sony has pretty much spent the past two years pretending the Vita doesn’t exist, ignoring it at every major trade show and convention. It’s embarrassing.

* Sony has publicly admitted that they are no longer making Vita games.

Remember when the 3DS launched back in 2011? Remember how hard it flopped? Instead of pulling back and blaming the “climate” for all of their woes, Nintendo doubled down, releasing new models and filling it up with stellar games to the point where it’s now one of the best machines you can buy. Granted, Sony doesn’t have Mario or Zelda or the storied development acumen of their competitors in Kyoto. But if they hadn’t spent the past three and a half years firing a giant rifle at their own feet, maybe things would look a little different for the wonderful PlayStation Vita.
http://kotaku.com/mobile-gaming-didnt-k ... 1733350950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Jasper wrote:I love how the only post from another member so far that actually pertains to this major video game related matter at hand is from Lestat (and to some extent Ambrose Burnside, even though it was barely a sentence).

Maybe most here see the sense of it given Xperia devices link to PlayStation, PlayStation store and games. Given how mobile has evolved it doesn't make a lot of sense for a company like Sony to persist with a dedicated handheld console.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Who's buying 3DS now anyway? All the school kids I notice playing games on the train to work are playing crappy iOS games on iPads.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Mostly bus users rather than train users.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Now that Nintendo are moving to 3rd party you'll see more and more kids playing their crappy iOS games, waiting for Mario and Pokemon to arrive.

Dedicated handheld gaming devices as we've grown up with them...their day is over.