PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by cloud »

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Kind of want to get into this game but controlling it with the game pad was not fun. At all. Liking that X52 controller but not I want to drop that amount of coin for just one game, maybe two with Star Citizen coming.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I used the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and it does enough. Easily locatable for $60 (eg https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-console ... ck/251964/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and less if you wait for a sale.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

+1 , the Logitech is a great inexpensive and game changing alternative. There's some discussion of various alternatives earlier in the thread.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Cool, will check it out. Days off starting tomorrow. Will jump back in
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I went a bit nuts and bought a Saitek X55 Rhino. It'd be awesome if I actually used it.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

For me, the game became too overwhelming. I enjoyed it in beta when it was just trading and a bit of shooting and there were 5 ships to choose from. But when the full game was released and the explorable galaxy was 1000 times bigger and there were ships and mining and landing on planets and missions and whatever else I didn't know where to start so I just... didn't.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I really want to get back into it lately...but GTAO keeps demanding my game time. No balance whatsoever.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I'm scared to play it again. I can't remember how to take off or dock so I'll probably just crash and destroy my ship.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

haha...same. And I have a sheet drawn up to map out my buttons on the HOTAS...still a bit daunting.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Rorschach wrote:Kind of want to get into this game but controlling it with the game pad was not fun. At all. Liking that X52 controller but not I want to drop that amount of coin for just one game, maybe two with Star Citizen coming.
I reckon having a full-on HOTAS would make Kerbal Space Program an awful lot more enjoyable
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

If you're thinking of buying a HOTAS, you need to think about whether you want yaw control on the stick or in foot pedals. The options are available, but personally, I didn't want to be using my feet to play videogames. The "best" and most expensive HOTAS (Thrustmaster Warthog) does not have yaw on the stick which I think is absolutely ridiculous.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Well I spent a few hours re-familiarising myself with my HOTAS and Elite last night and made a slow million bucks in trade. I say slow because it took a few runs to get my hand back in but once I was comfortable, I was jumping from Pleutarama to Shapsugabus like a fucken space trucker and his best friend Bear.

I also bought the Horizons expansion (at full price damn it...it was half price a week or two ago and I should have got it then) but didn't concern myself with that last night. Loved being back in the depths of our galaxy again. Even the loneliness is enjoyable.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

First time in Elite for a long time. Flying around a planet's surface is pretty cool, and the outposts look great. The last one I landed at was at the base of a deep ravine that looked sci-fi as fuck.

The little LRV Scarab buggy is super easy to drive :keke: !
Last edited by Burnzoire on 07 Mar 2016 05:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

prickly
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

My main gripe with this game is the P2P multiplayer rather than it being server based. It means that if someone has a high latency compared to you (eg they're not in Australia) then the game pretends that person is in a whole other parallel universe to you. I haven't seen a single human player in the 20 hours or so that I would have played since picking this game up again.

That one thing precludes a lot of games features from being included, and even player generated or emergent gameplay. For instance, you can never have:
- permanent player bases
- epic space battles
- blockades
- piracy
All because you can never guarantee that you can see another player who's in the same system as you.

The game wouldn't even let me see Mister Gun until we formally joined a "wing" (game party) together. So even a player 10 km from you geographically doesn't have a good enough ping.

The developers don't have the resources to host servers, so I don't think this part of the game could ever be changed.

It can really only be viewed as a single player game, or at best as a co-op game doing PvE runs. The combat engine isn't strong or deep enough to make either of those compelling, IMO.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I'll probably grab this and give it a go once my Rift arrives.

I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Got it on sale for 30 bucks a while ago and haven't really had the inclination to use it as yet.
2nd place is the first loser....

Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

Hercy wrote:My main gripe with this game is the P2P multiplayer rather than it being server based. It means that if someone has a high latency compared to you (eg they're not in Australia) then the game pretends that person is in a whole other parallel universe to you. I haven't seen a single human player in the 20 hours or so that I would have played since picking this game up again.

That one thing precludes a lot of games features from being included, and even player generated or emergent gameplay. For instance, you can never have:
- permanent player bases
- epic space battles
- blockades
- piracy
All because you can never guarantee that you can see another player who's in the same system as you.

The game wouldn't even let me see Mister Gun until we formally joined a "wing" (game party) together. So even a player 10 km from you geographically doesn't have a good enough ping.

The developers don't have the resources to host servers, so I don't think this part of the game could ever be changed.

It can really only be viewed as a single player game, or at best as a co-op game doing PvE runs. The combat engine isn't strong or deep enough to make either of those compelling, IMO.
To be fair, Elite always has been a single player game. I'm fine with that - the ability to group up with mates is an added bonus.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Kangawallaby wrote:I'll probably grab this and give it a go once my Rift arrives.

I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Got it on sale for 30 bucks a while ago and haven't really had the inclination to use it as yet.
I think you'll love it for a while. An hour or so of Youtube tutorials and you'll know mostly all you need to. I'll find the right ones and pm you. This game would perfectly match VR. Good stick too. You can pretty much assign everything you really need on it, even sits nicely in your lap on a stable table or book.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Skip to 7:11
Well.. things just got really fucking interesting now!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

That's all sorts of creepy. Kind of makes me want to give Elite another go though.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Given that this game has been out for so long and only now have they uncovered aliens.. kinda makes you think.
PLus.. just imagine having that happen just out of the blue. That would have been a generation defining moment I think.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Ooh..that makes me want to take a look. Might venture out tonight.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:Given that this game has been out for so long and only now have they uncovered aliens.. kinda makes you think.
PLus.. just imagine having that happen just out of the blue. That would have been a generation defining moment I think.
Makes you think... that they added it in the latest patch?
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Yeah that's what I assumed but based on the little bits and pieces I've read, the developers have hinted at aliens for a while now.. though again that could be effective planning ;)

The other thing is that someone was saying that the game has not been data mined.. or effectively data mined at least.

I love the design of it though!