Total War: Warhammer

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Total War: Warhammer

Post by Candy Arse »

Out tomorrow!!!

Reviews are the highest for the series in a long time.

I loved Rome 2 after it got patched up (Emperor Edition is brilliant), Atilla did nothing for me and Shogun 2 is the high point of the series Warhammer notwithstanding.

Ambrose, Pilon...you in?
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Total War: Warhammer

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Candy Arse wrote:Ambrose, Pilon...you in?
You know it :up:

It's out today, I preordered the Limited Edition (Steel Book Case and Strategy Guide) with birthday vouchers and I'm having all four of my wisdom teeth out today too, so I have the rest of the week off work to recover with Total War :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

There were also new Nvidia drivers released today.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Not unlocked on Steam until tomorrow around 3am! FFS

I'm going down to JB to buy the LE.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

"Cannot be installed yet because it has not been released"

:lol:
Ambrose Burnside

Yep, retail version won't install either.

Fuck this shit.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Oh I know, I just bought the LE.
Ambrose Burnside

IT'S INSTALLING!!!

Just got back from my op, got a mouth full of gauze and ice strapped to my face, and my wife is at the chemist picking up my painkillers, BUT IT'S INSTALLING!!! :nana:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

They must have brought the release forward BECAUSE I'M NOW PLAYING IT! :up:
Ambrose Burnside

Don't forget to grab the Chaos Race Pack from the Steam Store too, free for this week only :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Already got it :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Ok...first impressions are really really good!!!
Ambrose Burnside

Right, time to play :D
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

They've added RPG elements to what is already a really solid game design. Can't wait to spend all weekend playing this!!!!
Ambrose Burnside

Going from Doom to Total War may not have been the best idea ... I need to slow down and be patient cos I am sucking big time :lol:

*reloads campaign on Easy for third time*
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I've started with The Empire on normal, will probably go up to hard pretty soon as I can see me rolling through this campaign. I play TW games regularly so am in form...
Ambrose Burnside

I chose the Empire on Easy. Was following the advisor's ... advise and am getting owned. I can win the first battle against the rebels, then in my first playthrough some other prick attacked me while I was starving out the town haha and I was surrounded and beaten and Karl Franz died, second playthrough again I won the first battle against the rebels, took over the town this time, then a mission popped up telling me two groups of rebels were meeting (I like how both playthroughs started completely differently), I ambushed the first group easily enough, second group came, I got bored waiting for them so sped up time a bit nek minnit "close defeat" wtf? damn it :lol:

I am a bit of a Total War newbie. Have the original Medieval (retail version) but can't get it to work on Windows 10, and I have Napoleon that I got for cheap but haven't played much of (classic Steam sales). I can't seem to find a proper tutorial mode in Warhammer? There's a lot of info thrown at you and I'm not sure what to do (especially in the strategic screen). Like can I upgrade buildings? Build new buildings? I tried to create a new army when I captured the rebel town, but then I couldn't move that army?

I'll keep plugging away.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah Warhammer has taken a LOT from Rome 2 in how it has connected regions now. There's actually a lot here lifted from Rome 2 (even voice acting) but they've then put a few more touches on top to suit the Warhammer universe.

http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-warham ... ers-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://guides.gamepressure.com/totalwarwarhammer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/ ... -warhammer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some reading material. I would also read those links in order.
Ambrose Burnside

Thanks Candy :up:
Each faction begins at war with one neighbour: Vampire Counts have Templehof; the Empire have Empire Secessionists; Greenskins have Red Fang; and for Dwarfs it's Bloody Spearz. Your first battle against them will be simple, but then the survivors flee. If you have enough movement left to pursue and attack again, absolutely do that. If you don't they'll either fortify a settlement or regroup alongside that opponent's other army, which is usually nearby, and attack you. I lost Azhag The Slaughterer by turn two thanks to this, which is just embarrassing.
Glad I'm not the only one! :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

OK so my most recent playthrough attempt.

I've fought the rebels at Grunburg twice. Two decisive victories. Their leader is dead, and I've captured the city.

The basics of battle I understand. I have my swordsmen and spearmen up front, my archers behind, and I use my cavalry to sweep around the back and take out their archers. I then flank them with my archers and shoot their army in the back :lol:

I've recruited a Lord and given him an army. So now I have the cities of Altdorf and Grunberg, and two armies. A million possibilities of where to go/what to do next. And I still don't understand buildings and technology and that side of things yet. This is where I get stuck so I've stopped playing to do some more research :lol:

I also want to bust out my old Battle Masters board game:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Go and take over the other two cities that are part of that region and then play around with them.
Ambrose Burnside

I also need to stop getting suckered into "Oooooh shiny!" when missions pop up. They don't appear to scale depending on the level you're at. A bit like Dragon Age: Inquisition where you have all these rifts that need closing that you can see but can't actually do anything about yet.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Ripped through the Long Campaign with The Empire on Normal. Had a big boss battle with Chaos around turn 170-something, but because I was packing a horde of steam tanks I clobbered them.

Time to up it to hard.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OK - Vampire Counts are the most fun race, especially with the Radious mods installed. Way more units, better enemy AI, more balanced economy etc.

You still playing this Ambrose? Hard ain't too hard if you think about what you're doing.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

This game is available through Humble Bundle for $12. Insane value. Even if you cancel the subscription straight away you still get to keep the game. Humble Bundle Monthly is the best deal in gaming at the moment.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.