Zelda Breath of the Wild - game discussion thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Post your impressions (not what giant bomb thinks or IGN or Gamespot or the random guy on Gaming age forums says) in here so I don't have to sift through ads and system fights.

I have been into all the threads about nintendo in general which mentions the game, how this game and Horizon Zero Dawn should be compared, a Switch-specific thread where it is talked about. But this could be nintendo's "best game ever made" ...
so I thought it would be good to just have one thread for this game only not on platform wars, emulators on pc, and sales stats and comparison to Horizon Zero Dawn which we all know isn't as good in terms of gameplay regarding the emergent behavior.

Just talk about the game in relation to all the other zelda's. This is a big step for them to jump into open world genre.
I think this game could influence the way we play future metroid game? :drool:

I will be playing this very soon and avoid the other threads as they are just ads from rocco, candy arse talking about illegal shit, and not the game itself. Like Witcher 3 this should be given game-specific thread. This is the unofficial one until Candy Arse tries to make official one and try to ban everyone else from creating threads about games. (this is the guy who love EA who censors their own game boards so people can't complain about the games. Never trust people like this)

Come friday I will be playing on wii u because I believe this game was originally meant for this platform and the Switch right now is going to be getting its own zelda that is based solely for Switch hardware so it is fair to talk about the flaws and achievements of this game on Wii U system.

I think the game will change how JRPG titles will be designed. (notice games like Tales are still running on old engines)
I'm happy they are using celshading like WW, and hope this becomes the official style nintendo uses from now on instead of the CG toyetic look of things (ie mario kart 8 )

Games like this and Ni no Kuni are why I play games. And I think the single player open world RPG/adventure experience will always top the MMO RPG or strategy game (with character you care about) experiences. With single player open world genre the world itself is part of why you want to live inside it and you don't get that feeling in MMO.

There shouldn't be a reason why in this day and age company like Bethesda who make open world FPV RPG can't make nice third person modes and decent easy-to-control combat like this or dark souls where experimentation is encouraged and there is some mystery to the way things interact. (ie the objects in the game are not mere scenery modded in to immerse you into the game, but gameplay related functions - eg when you see an animal you can hunt it for meat and use that to top up food or whatever like old ultima games which let you slice up bread and eat it and stuff to survive when you camp out in wiilderness etc These are easy things to put in games but get ignored in "next gen" games due to over-emphasis on killing only) Fallout 4 did a ok job of making use of each item so it serves a function as junk but what I mean is how in many RPG things only exist as "stuff you look at" not use for a specific gameworld purpose to immerse you fully into the world as a real place to live. (this will be important in future as VR takes off - hiring a hooker to get well rested could save your life, or make you easy target if you talk too much to them and they pass information about you to your enemies because of casual conversations you've had)

The japanese are slowly catching up to the western RPG makers with open world technology.

Dragons Dogma
Final Fantasy XV
Zelda BOTW
Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/BloodBourne/King's Field
Xenoblade

...are all going for immersive worlds that you explore and want to know more about as you play. This is big change from the past where it was just doing linear path through everything and expected to see a certain thing at a certain time and could not deviate from the path much. (ie all past final fantasy titles)
This is golden age for the open world fans. The western open world RPG may get surpassed one day by Eastern open world RPG. The days when bethesda were the sole makers of these games is over. They may find it hard to stand out in future. Unless they give us dark souls style combat, they may be left behind. (fallout 4 has shown they can improve combat with guns, so they are at least listening to our concerns. Now just give us better melee combat with location specific damage to monsters like monster hunter games to do stuff like tail cutting, or bashing to the head to knock out the monster cold, or tripping up a monster so it falls convincingly if we target the legs to topple it over.. that kind of stuff you see in fighting games where a monster's fighting style is as detailed as boss patterns from previous retro games, so knowing how to use what and when without making mistake becomes fun and engaging rather than simply whacking on a button and letting stats determine everything)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Grabbing this on release for Wii U, so I'll post up some unbiased impressions then.

Expect me to describe a barren and lifeless open-world RPG with Zelda aesthetics.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - game discussion thread

Post by Candy Arse »

Just not in this piece of shit thread :io:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

:rollin:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Oh man I came here for the Zelda and it totes got derailed in the OP.

Never change Gameman. You can't get this stuff on Fakebook.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

This will be the thread where serious discussion about the game takes place. Not switch, not how good the emulator runs it, not pc bug reports about the graphics card you use which creates glitches and how you need to update the firmware on your system to get two extra frames per second.

this is the one game that doesn't need rocco's overhype to sell it because it's already getting amazing scores across all the various critics of gaming. It's not just nintendo fanboys:

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Review Scores:
EDGE- Perfect 10!
GamePro Germany- 94/100
Famitsu- 40/40
GameInformer- Perfect 10!
NintendoLife- Perfect 10!
GameXplain- Liked-A-Lot
Easy Allies- 4.5 stars out of 5 Excellent
Gamespot- Perfect 10!
Gamesradar- Perfect 5 Stars!
Metacritic- 98%
NintendoEverything- Thumbs Up!
Polygon- Perfect 10!
God Is A Geek- Perfect 10!
Giant Bomb- Perfect 5 stars!
RPGSite- Perfect 10!
Eurogamer- Essential
TheDailyDot- Perfect 5!
Attack of the Fanboy- Perfect 5 Stars!
DigitalChumps- Perfect 10!
Game Revolution- Perfect 5!
GameRant- 5 out of 5
NintendoWorldReport- 9.5 out of 10
VentureBeat- 100%
TrustedReviews- Perfect 5 Stars!
USgamer- Perfect 5 Stars!
GamingTrend- 100% Phenomenal
TIME- 5 out of 5
COGconnected- 100%
Destructoid- Perfect 10!
Kotaku- Open-World Perfection!
^
This is why you delay the release of a game instead of rush the shit out of it: Polish it to perfection. And pay real bug testers money to check it, don't give it to candy arse as an early access game where he just pretends to help the community find bugs and it ends up on release a broken mess.

Just got back from midnight launch opened the map that came with the guidebook and its a huge game like a proper bethesda rpg. Only negative I see is complaints of it having too much open space. But that is like saying GTA V doesn't have enough people walking along the roads in the remote country areas or that fallout wastelands are deserted (even though it's post apoc theme lol).

This is zelda's 'morrowind'. Unlike new elder scrolls games which give you map markers and order you to go to places you are given just enough info to figure out how to get there yourself. (similar to games like daggerfall) Why can't bethesda copy this style of navigation again where you use landmarks and npc instructions to find places? It would make for a more interesting experience instead of GPS shit.

RPGAdventure games use to reel you into tgier world by being full of ancient mystery and creating a need to 'see everything' out of curiosity to fid out more about the past to gain knowledge on what path not to take in future and offering a moral lesson/warning to descendants who survived the cataclysm. Modern day games don't feel like dangerous adventures where your daring and guts and determination is tested. They are just walking simulators which is why people are getting bored of the open world genre. ie not enough uniqueness to locations or things to do within those massive spaces. (No Man's Sky's biggest problem)

I feel bad for xbox fans because Scalebound (which looked like the closetst thing they were going to get to zelda style epic action adventure game) got canned. MS needs a game like a Zelda or Horizon: Zero Dawn to plug a gap in game genres that are under-represented on the platform. Maybe Elder Scrolls 6 for scorpio can repair the brand image...(or the secret bethesda project which sounds like Bethesda's answer to mass effect)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

photos of the map with my phone camera split into 6 images: (big images! download them and zoom in with your image viewer if you want to see the fine details)

top left:

top right:

mid left:

mid right:

bottom left:

bottom right:

No wonder reviewers said they didn't complete everything. This game will take months for completionists. (other side of the map has spoiler-ish markers showing where things are for the "100% complete" crowd, so I won't post that unless someone specifically wants it :P) 10 times the size of Twilight princess. Doubt I will see the entire thing..
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

What's happening in here? :keke:
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Jasper, are you finding the joycons with grip cumbumsome?
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

Actually no. Maybe it's because I have small hands, not sure? :?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Starting to adjust to them now, not as bad as once thought.