Horizon Zero Dawn

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn

Post by Rorschach »

If Jasper is going to start this shit again, can he cop another ban?
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

He wasn't banned last time, he ran away because I started The Official Nintendo Switch Thread.

If you recall he begged Cletus to delete his account. Didn't happen so he swore to "get us", ran back to GAF and now here he is to cop another thrashing.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

If you want him to ban himself again, repost his Nitnendo news posts into the Official Switch thread. Drives him batshit.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You mean the ones where he just reposts from GAF into the unofficial thread? Sure will do, happy to keep GR Nintendo fans abreast of the latest Switch news.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yup, those ones.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Play another adventure with a little girl in a green tunic or fight robot dinosaurs and go on stealthy missions? I know which game rings bells for me.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'll get both. Horizon looks like the perfect excuse to get a PS4 Pro, and the Wii U version of Zelda will look amazing on my PC :up:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

Cletus wrote:If you want him to ban himself again, repost his Nitnendo news posts into the Official Switch thread. Drives him batshit.
Actually unbeknownst to Candy Arse, i've purposefully in the past made posts with fake release dates, fake prices, fake quotes, etc...knowing that Candy Arse is lurking the forum and ready to copy and paste my post. :wink:

Once the dopey fucker has taken the bait and has copy and pasted my post, I immediately re-edit my post to correct all the wrong information it originally contained. :lol: :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:
Cletus wrote:If you want him to ban himself again, repost his Nitnendo news posts into the Official Switch thread. Drives him batshit.
Actually unbeknownst to Candy Arse, i've purposefully in the past made posts with fake release dates, fake prices, fake quotes, etc...knowing that Candy Arse is lurking the forum and ready to copy and paste my post. :wink:

Once the dopey fucker has taken the bait and has copy and pasted my post, I immediately re-edit my post to correct all the wrong information it originally contained. :lol: :up:
Was this before or after you chucked a tanty and ran away? :lol:

A Beta can't compete with an Alpha. Keep that in mind princess ;)
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

I don't see any value in digital versions of games that cost the same as the physical copy.

If the digital version was half the price of the physical copy, I *might* be tempted.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I agree, unfortunately can't see it changing while Sony/MS et al remain in the hardware business because they rely on bricks and mortar shops to sell consoles and software. I would buy more games on PSN if they were even 25% cheaper over a hard copy but it's usually the reverse. Just happy Horizon was at least on par with somewhere like Target. Nier Automata is up for sale at $99.95 on PSN which is bullcrap.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Horizon is live now, looks great, very cinematic. GPU fan is getting a workout though
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Rorschach wrote:I agree, unfortunately can't see it changing while Sony/MS et al remain in the hardware business because they rely on bricks and mortar shops to sell consoles and software. I would buy more games on PSN if they were even 25% cheaper over a hard copy but it's usually the reverse. Just happy Horizon was at least on par with somewhere like Target. Nier Automata is up for sale at $99.95 on PSN which is bullcrap.
If getting the game quickly was a possibility? Digital wouldn't be too bad. The issue is that you need a great speeds in order to download it which we generally don't get. The impulse purchase and paying a premium is completely lost when you can go and buy it $20 cheaper, have the physical copy and play it sooner.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, I only just got the NBN last month, no way I would have preloaded it before launch. If all digital releases were around the $69 mark I'd buy digital all the time. Not to be I think. Next generation should be interesting. Can see them using blurays again but after that who knows.

Edit - First impressions: This is one impressive looking game. Everything is going on - God rays, light blooms, hi-res shadows and textures. This is Uncharted 4 levels of detail in an open world, unbelievable. Controls are good and the first few herd robots are pretty dangerous if not handled properly (playing through on normal). Will be interesting to see what other enemy types pop up. This might be the PS4's best year to date. This, Yakuza 0, Nioh, soon Nier and Persona 5. All of these games will probably be in my top 5 for the year.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

The government needs to get involved in this and make a law that says if you bought the digital version you can get the physical version sent to you in the mail. And you own both digital and physical versions.

There is no seperation between a physical and digital. You own the game. And the medium it is written to is not the product. It's the content of what's in the medium that you bought.

Who agrees? So if I order a copy from some shop online I get it sent to me but meanwhile I can also download it digitally freely while I am waiting for it to be sent to me?
This eliminates all the nonsense of choosing between physical or digital. Most people are pissed that there should even be some seperation there. You are buying the bloody content. Common fucking sense. If what you bought on disc matches the digital version on the internet, you should be able to just download it guilt free.

Most people already do it with emulators and getting the roms of the games they already owned. (and the pirates just get everything)

The laws need to be changed to reflect technology of modern times. A drone can deliver a game to your house easily by flying the disc there. And tiny Nintendo Switch carts weigh next to nothing! Whatever advantages you had in the past with digital download is going to be offset by new ways to deliver the physical goods to your houses now.

----

anyway this game will probably end up as GOTY for its graphics and tech. Lot of impressive stuff like the way rain forms and the procedural generation stuff seems to be interesting and set this apart from regular open world games.
But.....Breath of the Wild is still the more exciting game to me. Nintendo deserve cred for not caving into the social justice warriors and male feminists by not changing Link into a girl like these idiots wanted. You already have Linkle you sick perverts that want to make nintendo characters into trannies because you read too many futunari mangas. Even Lestat has to admit this. Imagine if Samus Aran was changed into a male. Fuck the fat ugly lesbians. You idiots should go back to playing EA rpgs where the staff will pander to whatever group bullies them enough with political correctness nonsense. Sony are just capitalising on the Tomb Raider crowd by making the character female who is strong independent and never can be vulnerable because it goes against the belief that there is no differnece between the sexes. (which is absolute nonsense and the reason feminists need the patriarchy (men working for the government) to enforce thier belief system onto others against their will.)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Picked this up this afternoon. Installing currently. Impressions later on. The install time is pretty long ( 15-20mins) but I believe it's because it's installing the entire game being open world.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Count every frame. Without boob jiggle physics it better be consistent.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Loving this so far.

Just took down the Corruptor. The game world is stunning.. there are moments where you second guess the characters in that their facial movements and speech motion capture are freakishly good...

PLaying through on Hard so far and it isn't too difficult though I think I've been scrappy more than skillful which means room to improve.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

This game makes an extremely good first impression!

Can't wait to get stuck into it over the weekend!
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Candy Arse wrote:Can't wait to get stuck into it over the weekend!
Hahahahahahahahaha.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy your poor man's Zelda this weekend. Me on the other hand...I am just under an hour away from playing what is now officially the best videogame ever made!!! :up:

GameCentral~Metro: 10/10

In Short: The best Zelda there’s ever been, and very possibly the best video game ever made.

IGN: 10/10

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterclass in open-world design and a watershed game that reinvents a 30-year-old franchise. It presents a wonderful sandbox full of mystery, dangling dozens upon dozens of tantalizing things in front of you that just beg to be explored. I’ve had so many adventures in Breath of the Wild, and each one has a unique story behind what led me to them, making them stories on top of stories. And even after I’ve spent more than 50 hours searching the far reaches of Hyrule, I still manage to come across things I haven’t seen before. I’ll easily spend 50 to 100 more trying to track down its fascinating moments.

DigitalChumps: 10/10

This is it, folks. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Nintendo’s Magnum Opus. It’s not only the best Zelda game ever created, it’s also one of the very best videogames in the history of the art. Games like this are so rare that it would be impossible to classify it as anything other than a masterpiece. Experience it at all costs.

EDGE: 10/10

The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't felt for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that feels so mind-bogglingly vast and unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything. Few, if any, ever deliver so irresistibly. 19 years on Ocarina is still held up as the high water mark of gamings best loved and greatest series. Now it may have to settle for second place.

GameSpot: 10/10

No matter how gorgeous its environments are, how clever its enemies are, and how tricky its puzzles get, the fact that Breath of the Wild continues to surprise you with newfound rules and possibilities after dozens of hours is by far its most valuable quality. It's a game that allows you to feel gradually more and more empowered yet simultaneously manages to retain a sense of challenge and mystery-which, together, creates a steady, consistent feeling of gratification throughout the entire experience. Breath of the Wild is a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda series, and the most impressive game Nintendo has ever created.

Eurogamer: Essential

All that has been either swept aside or remade from first principles. It's hard to overstate the courage and conviction with which producer Eiji Aonuma, director Hidemaro Fujibayashi and their team have rewritten their own work, and the size of the risk Nintendo has taken with a beloved property. Breath of the Wild isn't just the most radical departure from the Zelda tradition in its 30-year history, it's the first Nintendo game that feels like it was made in a world where Half-Life 2, Halo, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Skyrim happened. It's inspired by those greats and others, but it doesn't ape them any more than it rests on its own laurels. And if we're talking inspirations, we have to recognise one game above all others, an uncompromising adventure from 1986 that dared to take gaming off the rails, that put a whole world beyond the TV screen and invited the player to explore it: the original Legend of Zelda.

GiantBomb: 5/5

Nintendo may have changed so many long-standing traditions of the Zelda franchise, but the spirit of discovery is as strong as it’s ever been no matter your age. I didn’t think I’d feel the Zelda magic this strongly ever again, but I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong.

GamesRadar: 5/5

The series has always had something of a fairytale quality to it - its grand landscapes and worlds suggestive of so much more. The sight of dawn over a shimmering lake. The rolling plains of Hyrule Field stretched out beneath you. It speaks to our imaginations, calling us on to adventure. What a familiar feeling to look across Hyrule Field at Death Mountain, wondering what it would be like to climb it. What a profound thrill to make that journey in its entirety. It has taken 18 years, but Nintendo has done it again: this is the adventure game to beat.

Polygon: 10/10

I guess, in the end, it’s not just that Breath of the Wild signals that Zelda has finally evolved and moved beyond the structure it’s leaned on for so long. It’s that the evolution in question has required Nintendo to finally treat its audience like intelligent people. That newfound respect has led to something big, and different, and exciting. But in an open world full of big changes, Breath of the Wild also almost always feels like a Zelda game — and establishes itself as the first current, vital-feeling Zelda in almost 20 years.

God is a Geek: 10/10

I do not say this lightly: Breath of the Wild is an absolute masterpiece, and may well be the best The Legend of Zelda game ever made. Having grown up playing those first games as a child on a system I remember fondly, it feels extra special to be playing a new Zelda on a new console and this is everything I wanted it to be and more. I won’t forget Breath of the Wild for a long time, because it’s a memorable, beautiful, stunner of a game.

Kotaku: Open-World Perfection

And as you talk about Breath of the Wild with your friends, there’s one word that will rarely if ever come up: “can’t.” Stories about the new Zelda will instead revolve around what you can do. How you climbed all the way to the top of the Temple of Time just for kicks, or how you parachuted down to the lowest point of Hyrule to see what kind of secrets you’d find there. How you found a brilliant method to brute-force your way through the freezing, snowy mountains, or how you set a forest on fire just to see if you could.

Or, how you tried something as ridiculous as flipping over a maze so you wouldn’t have to solve it, and the game somehow let you finish the puzzle anyway. Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game to date, and it accomplishes that simply by saying yes.

US Gamer: 5/5

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an amazing game. As someone who loves open-world games, this is one of the best out there. As someone who enjoys the Zelda series, I honestly think I can say the same thing again. Nintendo has brought together a number of different ideas and mechanics, but integrated them into something that stands on its own. It's the kind of game where I don't want Nintendo to do something completely different for the next Zelda. I want more of this.

Destructoid: 10/10

This isn't your typical boiler plate open world cash grab, rife with to-do lists and busywork. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an evolution of the formula for both eastern and western philosophies alike, and a new blueprint.

The Verge: No Score

This new direction, and shaking up of the age-old formula that has come to define the series, helps Breath of the Wild return to what made Zelda so beloved in the first place. More so than just about any game series, Zelda’s heart lies in exploration, that moment of seeing a towering mountain in the distance and realizing that eventually you’ll be able to reach the top. Breath of the Wild takes this idea, cuts out the fluff, and expands upon it. It pulls ideas from other games, like crafting or survival, yet makes them feel perfectly at home in its beloved universe. It’s exactly the Zelda game I’ve been waiting for.

Game Revolution: 5/5

Congratulations Nintendo, you just earned my first ever perfect score.

Trusted Reviews: 5/5

If there’s a better game out there than Breath of the Wild, I haven’t played it. Nintendo has created, for me, the greatest game of all time. It’s everything I want from a game and one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had.

With the incredible variety of gameplay on offer, it’s understandable why Nintendo cleared the Switch launch schedule for Zelda. There’s a good chance you’ll be absorbed in everything it has to offer all the way up until the release of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

For me, there isn’t a better experience to be found on the Switch or anywhere else.

Dual Shockers: 10/10

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is no mere Zelda game — it is a return to form for the decades-old series, showing that Nintendo still very much understands how to handle their property. Breath of the Wild rivals Super Mario 64 for the best launch game ever shipped with any console. With no exception, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterclass in game design and creativity, unprecedented from even Nintendo.

GameInformer: 10/10

Breath of the Wild is an achievement in the design of a living world. Hyrule is massive, with multiple environmental systems layered on top of a grand adventure. Despite the massive scope of the game, Breath of the Wild retains Nintendo’s knack for polish without any major technical hiccups to disrupt the experience. I was entranced by this version of Hyrule, and it surprised me at nearly every turn, from its wealth of discoveries to the way it shuns the established tropes of previous Zelda games. It represents a profound new direction for one of gaming’s best franchises and a new high point for open-world interactive experiences.

VentureBeat: 100/100

Nintendo has made a special video game in Breath of the Wild. As the name suggests, it is a breathing wilderness that Nintendo brought to life by abandoning the structured, predictable Zelda formula. At the same time, it feels like the ultimate culmination of the ideas we encountered in the first Zelda in 1987. And I think the result of all of its interlocking systems is a game that wants to slam you with moments of epiphanies. For me, my experience with Link’s Awakening was about getting that one major flash of insight and then using that to understand the rest of the game and then the rest of the Zelda series. For Breath of the Wild, Nintendo made a game that could replicate that moment over and over.

TIME: 5/5

Though in the end, most of what drives Breath of Wild to soar the highest this series ever has, comes down to quintessential Nintendo: daring to zig where others zag, crafting a sublime experience that's also a virtuoso commentary on the yin-yang of freedom and constraint. That an odyssey this beguiling and capacious happens to also be playable on planes, trains and, yes, the toilet, is almost beside the point.

WIRED: No score

I haven’t finished Breath of the Wild yet. It’s scale is unprecedented for a Zelda game, and it encourages you to move slowly. I want to honor that. And while I fear that the sheer breadth of the experience might ultimately push some players away, I’m relishing my time spent in this hushed, half-dead Hyrule. After thirty years of The Legend of Zelda, I’m delighted that the series has finally lost its way again.

VG247: No Score

Polished to a ludicrous degree, this is a different kind of game but still one that gives Ocarina of Time a run for its money. After Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, which I found formulaic and awful in turn, it’s quite a stunning change. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is, without a doubt, one of the best games of the last decade. Taming that legacy seemed an impossible task, but they’ve done it.

Gaming Trend: 10/10

I’ve mentioned Ocarina of Time a few times, and there’s a reason – it is the benchmark by which all other Zelda games are tested. Somehow, and beyond all of my expectations, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild exceeds that mark. I can confidently declare that Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game ever made.

Telegraph: 5/5

And that is Breath of the Wild all over. I went back to transport that flame before finishing this review, you know. What I expected to be a brief milk run turned into a gauntlet against a troop of rangy Moblins, a battle with the elements and even included a neat variation on the classic Zelda fire-arrow puzzle. How apt. Brilliance found in every corner.

Pockelint: No Score

It’s an old cliché that each console generation starts with a game that sells the hardware on its own. It’s also pretty much a lie. Neither the PS4 nor Xbox One launched with must-have games – they followed down the line.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is such a game, however. It has been crafted with so much love, care and attention that you feel just as involved when playing. The sandbox you are given to play in is enormous and the game will eat time like a Sutton United goalkeeper eats pies.

We need Nintendo. You need Breath of the Wild.
Last edited by Jasper on 03 Mar 2017 03:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Well, it looks like my HZD play through goes on hold for a bit then. I tried hard. I got about 8-9 hours in, and it is fantastic.
I've encountered my first
Spoiler!
Tallneck, and I've been able to take control of small beasts for a while now.
Graphics are freaking amazing, that's for damn sure.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Oh fuck off Sony! :down:

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Started playing this afternoon, made it up to the bit just before the proving where you go out on your own. This is awesome, like a grown ups Zelda. Love that stealth plays a big part as I've always enjoyed playing that way, outflanking and taking my time.

Opted for resolution over stability since I have a 4K television, game looks fantastic. Will dive into it again tonight after the kids go to bed.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

OH SHIT...... :rollin:

Sony abruptly announced a last minute PS4 price drop across Europe...but only for TODAY to coincide with the launch of the Switch.

They are clearly so fucking pissed that their precious Horizon has now been completely overshadowed by Zelda. :lol:

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-mysteriously- ... e-day-only" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

LOL great move Sony.

Release an amazing exclusive game, drop the price on your machine and completely crush Nintendo from day one.

RIP Switch.