Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

flipswitch wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:Picked up the GOTY Edition from JB yesterday after work. Master Race of course. $69 what a bargain for this much content.

Can't wait :up:
How many discs is it on?

I'm thinking of re-buying it again for PC.

( the file size on steam with all the patches and expansions must be massive)
6 discs :lol: 40GB :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Did you all play 1 and 2? I put 20 hours into the first one, reimaged my PC and still haven't reinstalled it.
Nope :cry:

Have started the original which I've owned for years. Same with Assassins of Kings, have owned the Enhanced Edition for years too without touching it.

Too many ridiculous Steam sales, not enough time :lol:

But given the universal praise I *need* to play through all three. I'll get there. I managed to play through the Dragon Age trilogy. Granted, a week of work sick last year helped with that, but still.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Bought the base game yesterday and started last night (fuck me, 20gb patch!!!). Not too bad so far, levelling up seems a little slow. Its certainly no Skyrim! ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

No - it's better.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Up to the second chapter. Really hope we see Yeneffer out of her clothes. ;-) Game actually reminds me a lot of Dragons Dogma without the party aspect. Certainly got that vibe when I was facing the Griffen.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:But given the universal praise I *need* to play through all three. I'll get there. I managed to play through the Dragon Age trilogy. Granted, a week of work sick last year helped with that, but still.
I'm back in. Reinstalled Witcher 1 Enhanced and am back up to speed.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

This game should be called "The Jank III" :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:But given the universal praise I *need* to play through all three. I'll get there. I managed to play through the Dragon Age trilogy. Granted, a week of work sick last year helped with that, but still.
Same. Still very early in the game though. Also playing through F.E.A.R and weekend multiplayer games of AoE2: HD Edition and GoldenEye: Source with Mrs Burnside. So it's slow going.

It's funny, I own the original retail version of The Witcher (with the free Enhanced Edition patch of course) due to a ridiculous EB Games sale, I own the Steam version of Assassin of Kings (Enhanced Edition again) due to a ridiculous Steam sale, now I've gone back to retail for Witcher 3 GOTY Edition because JB was the cheapest option. And despte that it unlocks in GOG Galaxy (who were selling in for $10 or so more than JB). Master Race is the only option if you value true competition :up:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I'm around 20 or so hours in and boy does this game fuck with my ocd, all those question marks. I guess I should turn them off so it doesn't keep distracting me. I came across one guarded treasure by a beach but there was a lvl 22 dragon there and I'm only lvl 9 so left that. Also had sexy time with Kiera but she put a sleeping spell on me then chewed her own arm off before I woke.

It's a massive game and puts titles from Bioware and Bethesda to shame. Can't wait for Cyberpunk.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Same. Still very early in the game though. Also playing through F.E.A.R and weekend multiplayer games of AoE2: HD Edition and GoldenEye: Source with Mrs Burnside. So it's slow going.

It's funny, I own the original retail version of The Witcher (with the free Enhanced Edition patch of course) due to a ridiculous EB Games sale, I own the Steam version of Assassin of Kings (Enhanced Edition again) due to a ridiculous Steam sale, now I've gone back to retail for Witcher 3 GOTY Edition because JB was the cheapest option. And despte that it unlocks in GOG Galaxy (who were selling in for $10 or so more than JB). Master Race is the only option if you value true competition :up:
I just learned Witcher does the Mass Effect thing in allowing game save data to be imported from W1 to W2, W2 to W3. :up:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

That's a Shenmue thing. ;)
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Ultima did it before that. Same with Suikoden and countless old school pc rpgs.

Fucking noobs. Then you wonder why boomy is so crap at fighters and needs guidebooks to do a dragon punch.

Also Witcher books are a rip off of the Michael Moorcock "Elric of Melnibone" character. Stop celebrating plagiarism!

Also no: the Witcher games still are not better than ES games because the games are about 1 guy who you are FORCED to BE.
When you make a pen and paper style experience the player gets to create an avatar which is unique. So although content may not be as high quality as a game based on a license, it takes more skill to design system around that freedom which you'll never get from Witcher. It's like comparing MUGEN to a triple A "VS" game like Tatsunoko Vs Capcom.
Sure the latter offers an experience that gives balance but you can't put non-capcom or non-tatsunoko characters in the fighting game. Only the licensed crap. That means the former is in some ways better.

When you only play what's on PC you forget there are great rpg experiencs on console too.

eg the Trails of Cold Steel games:
I doubt candy arse would ever review this shit because he is scared to admit there are good titles that are not exclusive to pc or steam.
He wants all sony and nintendo games to one day be on steam because he has no friends to play with online on pc since developers make no money on that platform. Don't let him fool you so he can sell you his second hand graphics card.

RPG gams are slowly getting dumbed down thanks to developers not making them specifically for pc alone. Go to rpg codex and you see people often complain about that. It's not consoles fault. It's the fault of pc gamers who pirate things so it forces the game developers to target the lowest common denominator to stay afloat. If a game is too complex it confuses the kids. Can we rely on companies like EA to fix this? No. As a series gets too popular it gets watered down.

If bethesda wanted to beat Witcher, all they would need to do is get the License to Elric of Melnibone and force the player to be the character and base a series around it.

You always say "this is the best game ever made". Wrong. Old Fallout games are the best ever made. You could replay the shit out of them and it was part of the game system not a gimmick to lock you out of content. New Vegas did that already by locking you out of things. It's not innovation guys.

The best game ever made would be a RPG that is like Fallout but you have as many towns and cities as places to go in the No Man's Sky games. But robots are too stupid to create content so humans are still needed to do that stuff.

Humans are still superior when it comes to creating things. But they still ask for money. Once humans are replaced by thinking programs that can dream, then game companies can fire all the staff and save money like they are trying to do with manual labourers.

related:
watchmojo says ES is better than the Witcher games
ameicans will always prefer their own stuff
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

30 hours in now and only just reached Skellige. Great game, all the crashing issues I was having are gone, Windows reinstall for the win. Game looks great in 1440p. Looking forward to doing the DLC.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Just started W2 which at ultra looks pretty magnificent still. FYI Ambrose W1 items and decisions are reflected well at the start of W2. Top notch production so far and the reward for playing it will be W3. :up:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I am tempted to go back and play through the first two now. I tried playing Witcher 2 a while ago but found the controls pretty difficult, Witcher 3 is almost perfect.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

It was a wobbly start but I'm finding my feet with W2 combat. Took me three tutorial attempts before the game recommended I play at normal difficulty. Couldn't stand the indignity of starting a game that recommended I choose 'easy'.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Huge CD Projeckt RED fan. Looking forward to Cyberpunk. If it were just Witcher 3 with a future setting and graphics upgrade I'd be happy
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yep same here.

Witcher 3 probably my favourite game ever.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Really happy with my Witcher 3 performance. My i7 6700k, MSI RX 480 8gb system is running it comfortably at 1080p, everything turned up to Ultra, HBAO+ and it's a solid 60fps. Still early though. Have yet to trot into the populated town area featured in W3 benchmarks.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Do the gameworks features work on AMD cards?
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Whoops, forgot to mention I had hairworks off. I'll switch it on tonight and see how it runs.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You're in for a hell of a ride Pep. Incredible game.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

What's the GR difficulty consensus for W3? I started on normal (Story and Swords). Not bad but I think I'd like to buckle down with more of an inventory management experience. Story and Swords fully replenishes you after medidation. Kind of makes food items a bit redundant.

I'd prefer a middle ground actually. Not unreasonable to think Geralt wouldn't be mildly replenished after meditating. A difficulty level where mediation gives you a small boost would be handy.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Ok just learned you can get a daytime meditation heal boost on hard difficulties c/- abilities. Sold.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

What's the ability called?