XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Post by lestat »

Lol looks like those joker vids were faked, he downclocks a 7700k to 4ghz to make the ryzen overclocked system look better while labelling it as 5ghz.

Sad part is even downclocked to 4ghz the overclocked ryzen system is still losing by 10-30%
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

the Ryzen reviews are all over the shop. Some motherboards went out with pre-retail firmware, some types of memory dies are not as good performers as others, and of course MS haven't built in support for the new uArch/SMT into Windows yet.

There's a couple of things that are clear though;

1) Zen isn't for gamers - at least, not yet. It's a huge improvement over Excavator, but that's not really saying much.
2) It's a huge win for content creators. Especially those (like me) who want to be able to game on the same machine without dropping thousands of dollars on one of those 8- or 10-core jobbies that Intel make.

If I had the money, I'd definitely be jumping in a few months down the line. Of course I will do so eventually anyway; I'm an AMD fanboy. But my FX8350 is the most disappointing CPU purchase I've ever made.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Well even AMD admits in terms of IPC it's behind kaby lake by 7%, kaby lake can clock ~1ghz more. Gaming is still heavily dominated by IPC/clock so logic dictates that Ryzen will never be as good as kaby lake in gaming.

I think the hype train got to AMD fans and they lost sight of reality. This is why when people said to me wait for Ryzen, I just knew without seeing benchmarks that there is no point, it just would not compete with a 5ghz 7700k.

I agree though Ryzen is a great workstation chip and for those doing heavy multithreaded work loads, it's the go to chip and a huge saving over intel.

It's also going to be a great chip for consoles, it's very power efficient and has excellent IPC, I really hope scorpio includes it, we'll find out soon.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm patiently waiting to throw some money down for a 1080Ti...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

https://videocardz.com/67004/first-over ... rks-leaked" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some leaked benches Candy. Around 30% faster than a 1080. Just a tad slower than the titanx.

Only FE cards this month, 3rd party cards will be early next month.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://www.techspot.com/review/1348-amd ... rformance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good review here of 16 games tested with the latest CPUs and Ryzen.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -ti-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got wood.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Damn. Ran the Wildlands benchmark last night, everything on Ultra my card could only manage 37fps @1440p. Would be tempting but going to hold out until at least 2080/2080Ti.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

1080Ti ordered and paid for! I wee'd a little.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Awesome. Kind of wish some one would buy my 1070 or 980Ti, the 1080Ti looks awesome. Might just buy the next Ti once it hits
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Looking at the benchmarks, the 1080Ti is only worth buying if you pair it up with a 4K screen.

If I was staying at 1440p the 980Ti is in beast mode on those screens.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, just impulsiveness. Hell, even Harvey Norman is stocking the MSI variant of the 1080Ti FE. I'm going to wait until the next generation 4K Gsync monitors drop before getting a new GPU. No point getting a God Mode GPU without a way to display the power.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

People are complaining about the heat/temps on the FE in the NVidia reddit sub. Might be better to wait for 3rd party AIB cards, I have my eye on the zotac 1080ti amp extreme.

https://videocardz.com/67255/zotac-anno ... amp-series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I'm still debating whether it's even worth it, it's around 25% faster than my current 1080 @ 1440p. Hmmm...
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

RX Vega leaked numbers look competitive. Have been impressed with my performance and software support thus far so will more than likely stick with AMD for my next GPU.
According to the latest benchmarks, Radeon RX Vega has been spotted with 4096 stream processors and 8GB of HBM2 on a 2048-bit memory bus (half that of the 4096-bit memory bus on the Fury X, so we could be looking at 'Little Vega'). The benchmarks teases some impressive performance, with the SiSoft benchmark showing 9414Mpix/s of half-float GP compute performance - versus 7551Mpix/s on the GTX 1080. The same dominance is there - right through to double-float GP compute performance on this version of RX Vega with 806Mpix/s compared to the GTX 1080 and its 565Mpix/s in comparison. Now, if these are results from 'Little Vega' and it is able to beat the GTX 1080 - then 'Big Vega' which is due out soon after, should destroy the GTX 1080 Ti. Maybe AMD were playing their cards safe to their chest earlier this month, not wanting to play their hand against the GTX 1080 Ti - and that they do have a monster in store for us all.

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56645/amd ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Candy Arse wrote:1080Ti ordered and paid for! I wee'd a little.
:shock:

Your move, lestat. :D
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Picked up and installed yesterday too.

This is gaming.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:RX Vega leaked numbers look competitive. Have been impressed with my performance and software support thus far so will more than likely stick with AMD for my next GPU.
According to the latest benchmarks, Radeon RX Vega has been spotted with 4096 stream processors and 8GB of HBM2 on a 2048-bit memory bus (half that of the 4096-bit memory bus on the Fury X, so we could be looking at 'Little Vega'). The benchmarks teases some impressive performance, with the SiSoft benchmark showing 9414Mpix/s of half-float GP compute performance - versus 7551Mpix/s on the GTX 1080. The same dominance is there - right through to double-float GP compute performance on this version of RX Vega with 806Mpix/s compared to the GTX 1080 and its 565Mpix/s in comparison. Now, if these are results from 'Little Vega' and it is able to beat the GTX 1080 - then 'Big Vega' which is due out soon after, should destroy the GTX 1080 Ti. Maybe AMD were playing their cards safe to their chest earlier this month, not wanting to play their hand against the GTX 1080 Ti - and that they do have a monster in store for us all.

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56645/amd ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vega will be good, it's using tiled rendering like the original Maxwell did, that gave Maxwell a big boost, expecting to see Vega close that gap. The only problem these days imo is the gsync/freesync issue. Switching gpu also means switching monitor if you want adaptive sync for high framerates, it's a pain and expensive to switch.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I'm waiting for the new Acer Predators with HDR support later in the year. I'm looking to replace at of my mechanical drives in the next year with SSD drives. Mechanical drive I bought last year just cropped up bad sectors which is annoying. Going full SSD will save space and reduce sound at least.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I see candy went back to 60hz, in a way the disappointment for me with gsync is that it never fixed the sub 60fps jarring issues. You always want minimum 60 and push for higher fps. But then that can also puts even greater heat and power requirements on your system.

We have some new QHD 32inch monitors at work, nice and huge but yeah we are so close to hdr quantum dot displays hitting the market enmass. Maybe I'll go back to a locked 60 setup.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I find that anything 45fps and up with Gsync is really really good.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

https://videocardz.com/67318/asus-rog-s ... s-revealed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rog strix 1080ti looking good, 2.5 slot and some really nice temps under furmark.

Did some tests between locked 60/85/144hz just for fun.

Locked 60 is just not ultra smooth, harder to track objects while panning quick and noticeable input delay.

Locked 85 gives the ultra smooth impression, object tracking clearer, good input lag.

Locked 144 is lifelike smooth, objects very clear while panning, controls are ultra snappy.

~100hz is a good compromise, full 144hz is really great for competitive gamers. The improvement in input lag and elimination of it is the big difference.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

First custom board reviews out.

Asus strix
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASU ... _Strix_OC/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inno chill
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/ ... 080-ti-x3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically much like the 1080 custom cards, same overclock limit of 2000~2100mhz hit(silicon lottery), better cooling that drops temps by 10 degrees and allows boosted clocks to be maintained, the reference cards throttle a lot.

The temps on the asus are pretty impressive considering the wattage.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Ryzen 5 pricing.

Top end 1600X: 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.6GHz, $250usd.

Low end 1400: 4 cores, 8 threads, 3.2GHz, $170usd.

Yup, looks like R5 is the sweet spot.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Digitial Foundry's Ryzen gaming video gives a good insight into the performance of upcoming 6 core Ryzens, looks like the extra 2 cores don't really contribute all that much to performance.

It's a very good video from Richard, no BS analysis and gives what the real deal is with gaming on Ryzen.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

AIB 1080ti are starting to hit the scene.

So far strix/msi gaming x are delivering phenomenal sub 70 degree temps under full load and not throttling like FE cards are.

They're pricey though, $1399 for the strix. I'm looking at the Aorus extreme edition, scorptec have it listed for $1260.