Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild playthrough thr

Post by Candy Arse »

Watching someone else play :lol:

I've played a shitload of both.

Horizon is far and away the better story.

Zelda is the better sandbox.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Wow what did I just witness. I jumped down onto a pedestal, and while I was spinning around admiring the view the shadow of the tower crept over and the pedestal powered up. I turned the look at the tower and the sun was passing through the uppermost tip.

I'll have to go listen to what that bloody galah at the top of the tower was singing about.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Yoshi Sonic wrote:Wow what did I just witness. I jumped down onto a pedestal, and while I was spinning around admiring the view the shadow of the tower crept over and the pedestal powered up. I turned the look at the tower and the sun was passing through the uppermost tip.

I'll have to go listen to what that bloody galah at the top of the tower was singing about.
LOL I know what you're talking about. Near the
Spoiler!
Gerudo Tower.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Jasper wrote:Oh shut up Candy! The only reason you like Horizon is because the lead character is a freckle-faced ranga like yourself! :roll:

I have spent enough hours playing Zelda (and watched enough hours of my brother playing Horizon)...and you simply cannot compare the epic "open world-ness" of Zelda vs. Horizon where almost every step you take in the game - you come across some kind of a barrier that stops the game from feeling anywhere near as open word as Zelda.

Breath of the Wild is a fucking masterpiece, and rightfully now holds the record for THE MOST PERFECT 10/10 SCORES OF ANY VIDEO GAME IN HISTORY!!! (https://www.vg247.com/2017/03/08/zelda- ... s-history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). :)

Nintendo even released a brand new television commercial to mark this ground-breaking incredible achievement... :up:
HORIZON....BE GONE!!! :down:

Sales = Qwalerty.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

This is incredible! :up:

Someone managed to travel across Hyrule for a full 22 minutes (7,616 meters) with a paraglider...
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Wow...a little over walking speed. Amazing
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Scullibundo wrote:Fucking hell this game is magic.

I managed to mount and ride
Spoiler!
the Lord of the Mountain
which was a beautiful experience.

I also found these videos to make a very good point with regards to open world games in general, but more specifically, Horizon and Breath of the Wild. This isn't meant as a dig at all at Horizon, since I haven't played it and it's supposed to be phenomenal, but it really highlights the difference between a world that looks real, vs a world the feels real.
I love Horizon but Zelda has the nintendo seal of quality man.

Note to tomby: tell your buddy who works in sony to bug check properly. Look at all the crazy immersion breaking glitches the quality checkers forgot to test for:
If this was in zelda candy would be spamming the shit out of all the nintendo threads to justify his piracy. But when I point out flaws in witcher 3 he censors my post. Sensitive flowers...
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

I really don't like that when you die and chose to exit to the title screen, the cursor defaults to the [NEW GAME] option.

It just makes it far too easy for four year old fingers to erase a game save.

It makes me nervous. Children will be briefed.

Why have contemporary game developers made it so easy to lose your shit, and impossible to duplicate your efforts to another save file?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

After a bit of searching I managed to track down the Guardian Amiibo. Was a bit late to the party so most places were sold out but got one transferred in from Rockingham JB Hifi store to up a bit closer to work :up: pretty much all of the other BOTW amiibo were all readily available though, but I noticed the rrp seems to be higher on those ones, clocking in at like $21 or something. Knew the Guardian one was a little more exxy ahead of time but thought the regular ones would be regular priced.

Anyways looking forward to Guardian loot! I'm about 20 hrs in on wiiu version now. Been just exploring and doing shrines whilst uncovering the map. Will probably get started on the main quest stuff after full opening the map and have buffed my hearts and stamina a bit more though j reckon.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

$21 horse armour? :suicide:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

This is fucking insane! :lol: :lol: :lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yep I saw that. It's why I made the Morrowind analogy by saying this is the morrowind of zelda games.

Unlike Oblivion or skyrim morrowind had the idea to let a player go crazy and play with the sandbox fun. After morrowind it got more restrictive so you couldn't "break" the game by using the rules to do crazy things the developers didn't expect you to try.

Hopefully future zelda titles become less of a skyrim and more of a morrowind. Fuck hiring expensive voice actors and giving us dialogue wheels. Keep the text, hire writers, and beef up the number of dungeon and puzzle dsgners so that the game overall feels gamey. We don't give a fuck about games being thought of as "interactive hollywood movies". Everyone fucking does that.

Let Ken Levine handle story driven stuff. Nintendo can perfect gameplay and player-driven experiences.
As a gamefan I want to be in total control of the fate of my guy not told a story about him by the makers of the game. Old school rpg gamers understand this better because they realise that giving us pretty images and getting too specific in how we act ruins the immersion. Witness the crappy choices in the dialogue wheel in skyrim with inconsequential choices and fallout 4s choices that result in the same reaction of the npc to trick you into thinking you have control when you actually don't. Players need to go for lower budget games with more replayability not these next gen graphically beautiful games. Those beautiful games end up being more shallow than the ugly ones in my experience. (because of the dumbing down effect of trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible so that you rake in enough profit to stay alive. This is known as the "next-gen disease" where a series goes next gen but feels less deep in gameplay over time when it gets really popular. The businessman takes control of the project and tellls the creator to stick to a tested formula so as to avoid risk of failure. After the game is finished it feels like it was manufactured by robots with no soul because the creators limited the amount of cool things a player can do in the game in order to get it out on time rather than put their passion into the work by making a game they themselves wanted to play)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

With all the barehanded climbing in the game it reminded me of the scene in this old 80s ninja movie called "The Last Ninja" where the character spends a large chunk of the movie trying to climb a tower just to get to the bad guy and save hostages. (it was like a precursor to DieHard but with a ninja)
What I'd like to see is nintendo hire platinum to make a Shadows of Morder clone but with ninja. Big open world, great combat, but lots of parkour and climbing and diving down to your enemy from above or hiding in the shadows or in the environment (eg using trees to spy on people from above). The difference is you are in a world with aliens, robots, monsters, and each race is trying to fight for dominance over the world. Spying on everyone pieces together the clues to secret locations, caves, treasure, passwords etc so the more spying and wandering you do the more locations you can find. The theme is watching two groups killing each other is sometimes wiser than taking them all on your own. Choosing your battles lets you conserve resources and efficient use of energy and the environment you are in. Much like the Strider games, every bad guy is a shadowy organisation some or religious fanataics, others are technocratic people trying to enslave everyone by chipping them, and some are just rogue mad scientists creating biological creatures to make bioweapons and test them on people like pokemon or pets to guard them from thieves. Everything has gone to shit at once. For those who prefer a dark anime style (think strider) this game would emphasise making do with limits and understanding weaknesses of bosses more than loot. (the loot is just information about secret locations you can discover rather than gear - you must travel lightly being a stealthy warrior. ie only 2 weapons like halo)
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Unlike Oblivion or skyrim morrowind had the idea to let a player go crazy and play with the sandbox fun. After morrowind it got more restrictive so you couldn't "break" the game by using the rules to do crazy things the developers didn't expect you to try.
If only there was some sort of non-restrictive open platform, where we could still play with the sandbox fun. :nana:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

They don't have the skill to make games like that anymore dude.

It was passion that let you craft your own spells, create your own classes (daggerfall) and experiment with the limits of the system design.

Closed platforms with games that let you discover stuff is what people dream of.

If you want an open platform, you are inviting players the ability to destroy the game too much. It needs a layer of testing on top of the game to ensure the game is still fun but lets you feel like you are discvering new things.

When they finally let you choose the order to tackle dungeons in, that is an example of nintendo giving the player more freedom and letting us replay the game in a different way. Something common to Elder Scrolls. You are not locked into doing what the story dictates to you because you created the character experiences through player-driven choices. (as opposed to branching story paths like you see in mass effect which in the end made very little difference to what you'd get in the end)True RPG is when you the player tell the game what your character is about by actions taken by you. Not just choosing yes or no from a multiple choice question survey which is the approach a lot of modern games take.

If you want to be a psycho and kill the king and make towns angry and become like the incredible hulk where everyone in the world thnks you are too dangerous to live, then you can be that guy. Sure there is no story attached to it, but you the player have that freedom. Options adds immersion and games are more like simulators of what should happen if you do stupid things and intelligent things than stories. But there is a battle between hollywood movie storytelling guys who want big budget experien ces that are very focused, ...and the guys like me who think games are their OWN THING seperate from movies, books, and tv soap operas with drama in them.

That is to say you are the storyteller by how you react to thing in realtime by performing through gameplay not merely by doing a quest and finishing it. (do police solve all cases they come across? Do judges always give fair sentences? do soldiers lose battles? Sometimes failing is part of the story itself and the world goes on and there isnt't a game over screen when you say fail to get your success. You can make the failure the whole story and tell the story as lesson in what not to do) The world should exist long after you are dead, and your story should be able to differ wildly from the way the designer of the game intended in a truly free game.

It will take time for games like that to be any good though. So if you are going to whine about the game being rough around the edges you are missing the point of the "game as a sim" vs game as piece of entertainment like movie or novel.
People in real life do actual boring shit that doesn't drive the plot forward or have any affect on how far you progress in the game,. And as gaming gets more mainstream, the sim aspect of a game is slowly being taken out and replaced with more focused story telling with fewer and fewer options in how you can play it. (eg no climbing walls in elder scrolls anymore like you could in daggerfall if you want to be a thief. This would be perfectly acceptable in a pen and paper rpg game where you don't want to make any noise or choose the front entrance to any building which is guarded by people to prevent valuables being stolen) Zelda doesn't tell you anything so it means no matter what hapens, if you fail it isn't because you were told it was wrong. You determine what the right or wrong path is just by looking at each situation on a case by case basis.

Too many "games as a hollywood movie experience" guys want to rip control away from the player and dictate how we should respond. In real life you don't get told that "exploring that cave is wrong, so to prevent you from getting into danger I think an invisible wall should be placed at the entrance in the form of a message telling you not to look inside it yet".
Because the person telling you probably knows nothing about the cave, and never went there. So why should the game designer tell me not to go there? It's immersion breaking, right?. In real life the player should be told nothing just like in real exploring where you don't have anyone who never went exploring telling you where NOT to go. That's the sim aspect to games I am talking about that makes them better. As consoles get more powerful and environments become more detailed, the push should be towards games as more like sims not cinematic hollywood experiences that have shallow gmaeplay. We have seen that shit over and over again and there is no replayability in that type of game because it wants to be a movie not a game.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Looks like CrackHED is in here talking to himself again.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Well this thread sure went to shit.

This game has finally got me hooked- ultimately I think the problems I had with it initially can all be traced back to trying to squeeze it in around other games rather than spending solid blocks of time in Hyrule. It really opens up once you get your first few inventory expansions and life/stamina upgrades. Stumbled upon Eventide island last night and loved it, despite getting completely fucked by a blood moon/thunderstorm double whammy when I was on the verge of completion.

Some of the emergent aspects of the gameplay are really impressive, though it does open itself to abuse. I crossed the Gerudo desert for the first time taking shelter from the scorching sun behind a metal box that I brought along using Magnesis. Clearly not how it was supposed to be approached, but hey, my awkward crab walk got me there in the end.

Anyone still poking around in this? It's still a new game in my eyes yet this feels late to the party.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Yes, returned back to it recently. Slowly adjusting to it again, but using the switch in portable mode, I'm finding it weird, well the analog stick placement doesn't feel comfortable.

Got my first Devine beast down, found stacks of korok seeds and some shrines.

I would love to hear an update from Jasper though. I'm certain he's at least on his third play through.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Put in other thread.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

flipswitch wrote:Yes, returned back to it recently. Slowly adjusting to it again, but using the switch in portable mode, I'm finding it weird, well the analog stick placement doesn't feel comfortable.
I'm on the Wii U, but I know what you mean. It took me a couple of days of only playing BotW before the controls felt natural, and when I eventually picked up a PS4 controller again I'd been completely rewired. Reaching for non-existant + and - buttons with my right thumb and making a pressing motion into thin air. It's strange because I've often jumped between the consoles with no hassles, but I think Zelda just makes full use of all of the buttons and keeps you on your toes in a way that most of my other Wii U games do not. Makes me wonder what the controls might have been like if the Switch version wasn't on the table and the Wii U touchscreen got a look-in.

Regardless of how much time I've spent with it overall, I always seem to start my BotW sessions by attempting to fire my bow with R and throwing my best weapon off a cliff into an abyss.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

As long as the blood moon respawning of monster mechanic exists, weapons are always plentiful. It's just like having to resharpen your weapons in monster after every few attacks on the hardest monsters. The only difference is you throw the weapon away at them to get a new one as soon as you think it's going to explode. And according to the guidebook, the enemies that reappear slowly level up and get stronger the more you grind them. Which means longer lasting weapon drops. (killing the higher ranking guys means better loot) Never fear lack of weapons. Fast travel is your friend, you get free bombs, and magnesis to lift metal objects and then drop them onto the heads of enemies is the most fun way to kill things. Don't forget chuchu jelly which you can freeze by throwing into freezing water to make ice chuchu, then place it on the floor as enemies rush you and blow it up by shooting an arrow to freeze people. The game rewards creativity. I like to hold an octo balloon and ice chuchu to make a floating ice chuchu, blow the baloon close to the enemies with the leaf weapon, then when the balloon pops near an enemy, shoot it to explode onto them. These are techniques that stealthy guys can use if you eat the food that makes you more silent.

Hurry up with Dragon's Dogma 2 announcement for Switch capcom. Zelda BOTW shows there is demand for more open world stuff.
I explored Dueling peaks so far and grabbed some nice weapons. Also got boomerang which lets you throw it and it can return to you and you can catch it. It can also be used as a one handed sword weapon. I never use the axe to chop trees down and always use the free bombs instead, and then I bomb the log to make wood piles, and then sell these to buy arrows. I am getting use to the horse now and going to areas where there is a lot of grass for me to cut so I can get free fairies, crickets, lizards etc when I need to stock up on ingredients to make elixirs and top up on revival potions. (which is what the fairies pretty much are after you die lol) Running at high speed, jumping off the horse and then aiming in slo motion while in mid-air with the bow is my fave move. Also shields are fun when you are being shot at by those octorok thingss. (bounces back and hits them in the face)

One handed swords are my fave weapon but I always switch to club against the shileded guys who you can bash with the club to stun them and break their guard. The game really wants you to switch styles a lot. This means you are constantly using magic, melee weapons, and ranged bow and arrow stuff in equal amounts. Going for critical hits is my fave strategy by sneaking up behind them and stabbing tough enemies in the back for one shot kill. Also waiting at night time while they sleep and stabbing them helps. (make sure to eat food that makes you silent) if you want to kill the blue guys in one hit and save lot of arrows and save on damage to weapons.

As long as enemies respwawn you can practice the techniques infinite amount of times. It seems annoying that you have to constantly rekill things to get new weapons but it makes you better player by having to practice killing things in creative ways.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

My wife - who had a lot of trouble learning how to even move in a 3D space, has become addicted to BotW and has finished all the Devine Beasts and is prepping herself to storm Hyrule Castle.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

How nintendo built the world of Hyrule in Zelda BOTW:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... s-revealed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/gypsyOtoko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

interesting look at how they managed to make it seem interesting to explore based on landmarks and height differences of structures.

In the future I hope they make their own RPG maker construction set for expansions. In the same way nintendo gave us mario maker on Wii U I think they should consider dungeon design tool for those who would be interested in island building. When you beat the game, an option pops up letting you explore outside of the world map and like minecraft people can build their worlds from that. Already you are seeing minecraft stuff in fallout games. The next step is for nintendo to let players build islands and populate those islands with villages towns and cities and dungeons. This will boost the long term sales of the game because people will return to the game to see what new places exist for people to see. Things like underwater ruins of lost cities that were flooded and sea monsters would come to mind. As you explore outside the world map you encounter much more powerful and dangerous creatures, giving the game a roguelike feel to it to see how far you can make it away from the centre of the world map. Mad Max had procedural generation but I think placing empty spots for players to construct an outer world would work better. (hand crafted dungeons and set piece boss encounters stick in the mind better. )
Matt Walker‏ @gypsyOtoko Oct 3
Replying to @gypsyOtoko

From IGN Japan on debugging. One guy foresaw that the game would be too complex to leave debugging till the end, so he had the foresight to champion for new practices - proactively fix bugs blocking programmers and bugs specifically requested for fixing Also to implement a tool for easy bug reports, merging the tools for managing bugs with tasks, and implementing a system in the game for bug finding called #ZELDA_ERROR
The seal of quality is why they get 10 from edge. Western developers need to understand this: if it breaks that is because you rushed the game out for deadline rather than thinking about the consumer. People should take pride in the work they make, not just see it as a job and this is what seperates the best developers from the rest. (ie you can sense they planned carefully in advance before starting to build the game. Just like when buildings are made, you don't start any actual construction until AFTER blueprints are finished and then you can build. Same idea needs to also be used in coding games if they are big triple A titles. They are too worried about the money than their reputation. Bethesda could learn a few things from nintendo lol Would be interesting to see a Elder Scrolls cross Legend of Zelda title. They took out climbing ability in the new elder scrolls games making thieves useless shits. Perhaps elder scrolls fans would welcome a nintendo Elder Scrolls game. (sort of like sonic and mario in one game)
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Zelda BOTW is my almost 4 year old son's first introduction to moving in a 3d space. He's starting to get the hang of it. Embarrasingly, he's picking up 3d space easier than 2d movement in old NES and SNES games.. :(

I've loved the experience so far on the Switch. However most recently the only playtime has been with my son wanting to find more shrines and go and visit every fairy repeatedly, so I've only just started on Hyrule Castle.