Xbox 720p and PS4fps

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Re: Xbox 720p and PS4fps

Post by BOOMY »

That's for E3 elf, this is purely a tech reveal. I expect Ms to announce a fresh batch of games, we know playground has a second dev team, talk that the coalition are going to revive the IP they were working on before gears, basically things had to die to make way for newer things.

Crackdown 3 is going to be fucking nuts on this box!

There is talk that this box will play pc games via the windows store. So it's going to be even more PC like. Can't wait to see what happens Thursday.
PC games on windows store.
You mean the very same PC games ported from xbox one to windows...now ported back to xbox one? WOW!!!!!! You dont say! How PC like.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote:Yep expecting monster specs and no more fucking jaguar!
That's pretty optimistic. I'm hoping for a Zen-based APU, but I doubt it'll happen. I'm going to be pessimistic and say we'll see a 2.5-3GHz Jaguar design. More RAM is likely; hopefully 16 or 24GB, but most likely 10 or 12GB, if any boost at all. I'd like to see the extra as dedicated V-RAM, but it's unlikely.

I'd like to see a much more consumer-focused device than the 'bone. Putting a new disc into the current console is a reminder of just how anti-consumer the device is. I'd like to not have forced installs of Scorpio games.

And... to be honest... I'd like to see a return to cartridges. Given how rapidly chip-based storage has progressed in the 20+ years since consoles stopped using them, I think it makes sense. I know the technology (both for the storage and the consoles) is wildly different to how it used to be in the 8/16bit era, but it'd be good to see a return simply because they're so much cheaper and faster than discs now.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

unfnknblvbl wrote: And... to be honest... I'd like to see a return to cartridges.

8)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Starts at 11pm AEST. About 9hrs from this post.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Jasper wrote:
unfnknblvbl wrote: And... to be honest... I'd like to see a return to cartridges.

8)
How's that WiiU backwards compatibility working out for you?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
That's pretty optimistic. I'm hoping for a Zen-based APU, but I doubt it'll happen. I'm going to be pessimistic and say we'll see a 2.5-3GHz Jaguar design. More RAM is likely; hopefully 16 or 24GB, but most likely 10 or 12GB, if any boost at all. I'd like to see the extra as dedicated V-RAM, but it's unlikely.
Yeah I'm expecting Zen lite or a Jag core with beefed up features from Zen. They'd be utterly stupid and seriously bottlenecked if they stuck with stock Jag cores.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Could be worse. At least Jaguar doesn't have CMT.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

actually looking forward to this, hopefully it's beefy.
if they update Halo 5 to run at 4K/60fps i'll be there day 1... but i'd be happy with solid 1080p @ 60fps with improved shadows and animations.

60fps forza horizon too, PC version is just annoying.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

It's pretty obvious Scorpio is going to be a technical powerhouse - which obviously for the graphic enthusiasts is wonderful news. There's no way they would turn to Digital Foundry to help with the Scorpio's debut if it wasn't going to be a graphical beast. :P

The problem is if they are going to follow the same pattern as XB1, and release their first & second party offerings (and Microsoft partnership third party games) on both PC AND XBOX (like Forza 6, Halo Wars 2, Killer Instinct, ReCore, Quantum Break, Gears of War 4, etc).

What the fuck is the point in getting an XBOX gaming system, when there aren't even any fucking exclusives...and you can play Microsoft's first/second party games on your PC instead? :?

Microsoft can't have it's cake and eat it too....they need to pick a lane! Either (a.) release their games on XBOX AND PC for superior software sales but inferior XBOX hardware sales, or (b.) release their games only on XBOX and have superior hardware sales but inferior software sales.

If they stick to the same plan as present, they are fucked. The uber-hardcore gamers will continue on with a PS4 + PC combo (a PS4 for all of Sony's incredible PS4 exclusive games, and a PC for third party games and Microsoft's own games). 8)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Jasper wrote:It's pretty obvious Scorpio is going to be a technical powerhouse - which obviously for the graphic enthusiasts is wonderful news. There's no way they would turn to Digital Foundry to help with the Scorpio's debut if it wasn't going to be a graphical beast. :P

The problem is if they are going to follow the same pattern as XB1, and release their first & second party offerings (and Microsoft partnership third party games) on both PC AND XBOX (like Forza 6, Halo Wars 2, Killer Instinct, ReCore, Quantum Break, Gears of War 4, etc).

What the fuck is the point in getting an XBOX gaming system, when there aren't even any fucking exclusives...and you can play Microsoft's first/second party games on your PC instead? :?

Microsoft can't have it's cake and eat it too....they need to pick a lane! Either (a.) release their games on XBOX AND PC for superior software sales but inferior XBOX hardware sales, or (b.) release their games only on XBOX and have superior hardware sales but inferior software sales.

If they stick to the same plan as present, they are fucked. The uber-hardcore gamers will continue on with a PS4 + PC combo (a PS4 for all of Sony's incredible PS4 exclusive games, and a PC for third party games and Microsoft's own games). 8)
Who are you, and what have you done with Jasper?
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

unfnknblvbl wrote: Who are you, and what have you done with Jasper?
I'm pretty much repeating what I have always said from the very beginning... :wink:
Jasper wrote: All three (SONY/MICROSOFT/NINTENDO) SHOULD boast EXCLUSIVE games - it's the way the industry has been for generations and that's what makes it exciting (having all the console developers trying to 1UP one another with better exclusive games).

In particular with Microsoft, virtually every game on the horizon for XB1 is also coming to PC (and to some extent PS4). Rare's sole XB1 game (Sea of Thieves) is coming to PC, Fable Legends is coming to PC, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is coming to PC - and also already XB1 released titles like Killer Instinct is coming to PC (+ there are rumours that the Forza and Halo franchises are coming to PC also).

What's the point when you can just buy the game on PC (boasting superior graphics, superior & free online, superior DLC, and a cheaper RRP) and not bother getting an XB1 system? :?

If I had to choose between a PC + XB1 or PC + PS4 combo, I would 100% choose a PC + PS4 combo considering so much more of the must-haves on PS4 are exclusive to the system (The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn, etc).
http://www.games-ranch.com/forum/viewto ... es#p406182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Here you go everyone...
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Yikes...it's still a fucking jaguar! Neogaf is going insane!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lestat > :emo:
Last edited by Jasper on 06 Apr 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

2.3GHz Jaguar.
12GB
Called it! :laugh:
Last edited by unfnknblvbl on 06 Apr 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

A fucking jaguar CPU and also Digital Foundry are estimating it's going to cost 500 US DOLLARS!!!

:fight
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'm not fussed about Jaguar architecture. It's better than Bulldozer, and Forza 6 at 4K60 is pretty fucking awesome.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Interestingly the jag has a dx12 hardware assist chip so it doesn't have to shit itself. Should free up a nice chunk of compute.

Lestat can give the technical non layman version.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeah, that bit about squeezing a ton of 'bone specific stuff into a handful of instructions certainly piqued my interest.

This is basically the console they should have released the first time around.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I was disappointed to see jaguar then I saw this.
"We essentially moved Direct3D 12," says Goossen. "We built that into the command processor of the GPU and what that means is that, for all the high frequency API invocations that the games do, they'll all natively implemented in the logic of the command processor - and what this means is that our communication from the game to the GPU is super-efficient."

Processing draw calls - effectively telling the graphics hardware what to draw - is one of the most important tasks the CPU carries out. It can suck up a lot of processor resources, a pipeline that traditionally takes thousands - perhaps hundreds of thousands - of CPU instructions. With Scorpio's hardware offload, any draw call can be executed with just 11 instructions, and just nine for a state change.

"It's a massive win for us and for the developers who've adopted D3D12 on Xbox, they've told us they've been able to cut their CPU rendering overhead by half, which is pretty amazing because now the driver portion of that is such a tiny fraction," adds Goossen.
Hardware DX12 is a game changer and extremely clever engineering, that's the only reason we wanted better cpus to handle the increased draw calls. Heavy compute is done by async gpu now.

All looks pretty good, plenty of bandwidth, native 4k and excellent BC providing lots of improvements to old games. Sold!
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

lestat wrote:Sold!
Bahahahaha... :lol: :lol: :lol:
lestat wrote:expecting no more fucking jaguar!

Surprise, surprise...lestat shifting the goal posts for his precious Microsoft. :redface:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

That's kinda unfair. Nobody could have predicted a hardware implementation of DX12. With that kind of innovation along with a Polaris-grade GPU module, they could have chucked a 486sx16 in there and it'd be an improvement over the 'bone.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -new-level" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bottom line is that Scorpio's six teraflops will almost certainly go a lot further than an equivalent PC part. I asked Microsoft about this specifically, and they raise a number of good arguments that make the case strongly. Firstly, that their shader compiler is far more efficient than PC equivalents (think of shaders as native GPU code). Secondly, addressing the hardware directly via their API and with access to console-specific GPU extensions again adds to the advantage of a fixed platform box. And finally, they point to their optimisation software - PIX (Performance Investigator for Xbox) - as a tool that provides the path to console-specific optimisations that PC simply cannot get.

From what I've seen so far, there is some evidence that Scorpio's true 4K performance could pose a challenge to the likes of Nvidia's GTX 1070 and AMD's Fury X-class hardware. I've seen Microsoft's new console running a Forza Motorsport 6-level experience locked to 4K60 on the equivalent to PC's ultra settings - cranking up the quality presets to obscene levels was one of the first things developer Turn 10 did when confronted with the sheer amount of headroom it had left after a straight Xbox One port. Out of interest, we tested Forza 6 Apex with similar settings at 4K on GTX 1060, 1070 and 1080. Frames were dropped on GTX 1060 (and a lot of them when wet weather conditions kicked in), while GTX 1070 held firm with only the most intense wet weather conditions causing performance dips. Only GTX 1080 held completely solid in all test cases. It's only one data point, and the extent to which the code is comparable at all is debatable, but it certainly doesn't harm Scorpio's credentials: Forza 6 Apex received plenty of praise for the quality of its PC port.

The bottom line: PC games need to evolve to more efficiently address 4K, in order to bring down the cost of GPU hardware to effectively and consistently power an ultra HD screen with the latest games. The best console titles have led the way here, and it's a tradition we expect to see continue on Project Scorpio. If third-party games live up to the first-party results we have seen, where 900p and 1080p games scale up to native 4K, the comparisons with PC hardware will prove absolutely fascinating. If Scorpio's GPU can hold native 4K and hand in results on par or better than GTX 1070, this is a seriously good result for a console."
Also jasper there is still a level of disappointment, was hoping for atleast vega level gpu, it's basically an improved PS4 pro that isn't busted with bottlenecks fixed. We'll have to see how the software runs but if this thing delivers rock solid framerates with high resolution and quality, that's as good as you're gonna get on a cheap console, for those wanting the utmost best in performance PC is still the way to go. But with play anywhere you can have both.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Pretty hard NOT to be excited about this.

RIP Switch
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/g58e6d ... -Xbox-One/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Time to win it back with Scorpio.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Bring it on !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2nd place is the first loser....