Nier Automata (PS4/PC)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Nier Automata (PS4/PC)

Post by Candy Arse »

It's only on relevant gaming platforms. XBONE and Switch need not apply.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Rorschach wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gd41YB9mAc&t=29s

Youtube won't embed for some reason - Jim calls Nier the most important game of the generation, maybe ever. Inclined to agree.
protip:
strip off the time bit at the end and the "&" symbol. You only need the " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[letters numbers that represent the video address] " .... and nothing after that.

eg after taking out everything after the letters and numbers: ( just https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gd41YB9mAc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; only)
when you see the "&t=[number of seconds into the video] " bit, that is how far into a video you want the video to start playing from but it doesn't work properly here though. Just better to cut that off.

related:
Better channel than Jim's imo :P
this game is way too deep for the average joe. If it sells like crap it wouldn't surprise me. This is why we got to protect videogames from interference by the reptilians who want to shit on all forms of new expression because they do not like free thinkers, people who go against the grain, comedians who highlight the flaws in a fucked up society's reasoning, and you the consumers of the products. It scares them. Just like questioning why you need to conform. ie sci-fi dystopian stuff like Equilibrium, They Live, Blade Runner, Ghost in the shell, etc where the badness could be YOU, and if you reflect on your decisions you can avoid the doom prophecy by turning inwards into fixing yourself spiritually. Castlevania SOTN has same idea with multiple endings by forcing player to check themselves if they want better ending. Senseless killing != heroic action. What makes a player different from monsters he slays? If actions are not backed with pure intentions are you the good guy or just competition for other powers in the universe? A guy with conscience knows that saving people should be prioritised over killing for fun/revenge fantasy/power grabbing. And the game is intelligent enough to give you this but punish it too by teaching you that evil is evil because it's not you the hero. You stop being part of the problem and start truly being heroic when you care what happens in the game when you fight only evil spirits while worrying about consequences to the good guy being manipulated by the evil demonic spirit controlling him like a helpless puppet,... and this awareness that killing a possessed friend won't lead to hapiness then gives you renewed purpose for getting the 200% completion on your save file. ie when you stop being immature killing machine and instead become real hero who rescues everyone (preserving life rather than destroying things for fun and to give yourself a power trip which is selfish motive) to get happy ending with hope. Taking life by being a bad arse is easier than giving your life in sacrifice to others and so the game reacts to your player awareness that it is a spiritual war within you to fight the inner demon which loves to see you cause death, not save life. Normal people will not see the deeper message behind the action game. Outsiders will see games as violent kill sims, but the deeper player can fight the urge to be a simple killing machine if he questions whether his action is right before he executes it. Most people are on autopilot because majority of games don't care about "why?" you go on the bloody journey. (it's just to give you an excuse to have fun raping things with your power)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

For those who still haven't bought this game, another great appreciation vid on why this is a GOTY contender:
This is from the perspective of a guy who actually hates hack n slash titles and anime games. I wonder if these guys played El Shadai? This game reminds me of that because of the flipping of camera angles. (it contained 2d sidescrolling bits like this)
Nier is this generation's "Okami". If it didn't release too close to Zelda release date it would be getting a lot more hype imo. Similar to Castlevania SOTN or Suikoden it will need word of mouth to help it sell. Luckily we live in the age of youtube streams and lets plays so people can get as much info as they want to in order to decide why it is a special game amidst all the sequels and established franchises that get made on regular basis and end up being overexposed to the point of making you not care to read anything about them anymore because you automatically know what to expect all the time.
Last edited by GameHED on 06 Apr 2017 09:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I was going to get it from Ozgameshop for $67 but they've been out of stock since a week or two after launch. Only issue is needing to create a UK PSN to redeem the day one dlc stuff I think. Everywhere locally is $100, and I can't find anything but the day one edition. Let me know if anyone spies a bargain, but at this rate I might as well buy digital....

Edit: actually Ozgameshop still have the vanilla version for $70, that's pretty decent, think I've got at least $5 in player points sitting on my account.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Sales are doing pretty good:
Congrats. It didn't sell like shit which is what I was expecting. There are just too many good games coming out all at the same time. Who has the time/money to get through it all?

We need time machines to play everything or we'll die before we get to experience everything we want. Or maybe life extension technology.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

What the fuck am I playing? lol.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Before I put my final thoughts in the 'rate the last game you played' thread, I'm going to go ahead and say this is one of the most over-rated games I've ever played in my life. There are some fucking wankers in the video game press tugging furiously on this one to try and make themselves look good.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

This isn't the Zelda thread?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I reckon the success of nier is what spurred the bayonetta port.

Fact is everything should end up on PC, even just for preservation sake.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Back in stock at ozgameshop, $60 for the regular version and $67 for day one. Also in Stock day one version at base for about $65. Might use player points and go ozgameshop.

Edit: OK I'm in, $63 was too good to pass up even if it takes me a little bit to get to it, juggling with Zelda might be a bit tough with differing play and contol styles. Went PS4 for ease of use.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Day One edition sold out again on ozgameshop, probs still available via base though.

Also, DLC pack announced, some weird stuff like battles with Square Enix CEO, and also battle against PlatinumGames CEO Kenichi Sato haha, their heads as orbs replace bullets in the bullet hell sections :lol: fucking loose mate. Check out the full rundown in the link though for sure, too lazy to cherry pick it all out :-P

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/nier-automat ... -announced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A little pricey clocking jn at 1500 yen which is about $20 bucks just YEN to AUD converted, but gives you an idea jts not going to be a $5 type thing.

Looking forward to my copy arriving first anyhow, should hopefully be this week if I'm lucky - right before a week off :D
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:This isn't the Zelda thread?
Naive. Yes it's the Zelda thread because most threads devolve into arguments over which game is better: Zelda or this or Horizon Zero Dawn. Because the mods allow ads, trolls and duplicate topics and don't do their jobs.

Nobody talks about the important topics like whether Bill Whittle entered our dimension from another one because if you analyse his eyes carefully he looks like a fucking Wood Elf from Oblivion.

You need to question why you are here because there are some very weird people out there coming into this dimension.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ben wrote:Day One edition sold out again on ozgameshop, probs still available via base though.

Also, DLC pack announced, some weird stuff like battles with Square Enix CEO, and also battle against PlatinumGames CEO Kenichi Sato haha, their heads as orbs replace bullets in the bullet hell sections :lol: fucking loose mate. Check out the full rundown in the link though for sure, too lazy to cherry pick it all out :-P

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/nier-automat ... -announced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A little pricey clocking jn at 1500 yen which is about $20 bucks just YEN to AUD converted, but gives you an idea jts not going to be a $5 type thing.

Looking forward to my copy arriving first anyhow, should hopefully be this week if I'm lucky - right before a week off :D
I paid the full $90 for day 1 edition. I find that video games offer good value for money if you replay them alot and if nintendo can charge full price for games I don't see why we should all expect niche titles to sell any cheaper.

BTW Boomy I also bought Torment Tides of Numenara recently so don't say I am a cheap bastard. I do buy shit but I also reserve the right to criticise the bad things in games like how much better older games are compared to the new ones. We need to accept that each person has unique tastes. I like older games that didn't hold your hand. It's the spirit of older games that I long for. ie when the game slowly teaches you new ways of thinking by slowly introducing new things over long period of time. The ADHD generation outnumbers us though so I get why they don't understand us and prefer dumbed down systems. They never knew any better which is why indie companies are so important to carry the torch for franchises that failed to give us the feeling of the old games again. But...that doesn't mean we should go easy on them, which is why withholding money can cause them to try harder because they will not just be able to rely on fanboys who go easy on them and forget that if a past game is better than a modern one, it can't get scores superior to the older games. Brian Fargo might have survived a long time in the game industry but our expectations also grew larger with time. Mass Effect Andromeda is perfect example of this: older fans see the new games as watered down versions of the earlier ones. Things should get better with time not go backwards and that is why it is important to use money wisely. ie support the good games that are not well known (ie God Hand, Okami, Nier, Yakuza etc) to let creators continue to make new things. (or if it's not known well in the west - show them we want it localised) It's not a charity.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Yo, my copy arrived in the mail today. Pleased to say that the UK DLC card redeemed without issue on my Australian PSN account :up:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

This seems to be getting pretty hard to find (at least a physical copy), so I picked it up for ~$70. Bit of a gamble at that price but I was pretty impressed with the demo, looking forward to trying it out hopefully later tonight.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

I think I'm almost done with Route C.

This along with Persona 5 will be contending for my GOTY this year.

It just keeps getting better and better from the way how everything unfolds.

Also having a good battle system helps, especially compared to Nier and Drakengard 3.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

If nothing else, argh, might possibly need some spoiler tags for this. I'll give the roughly spoiler free version first in saying when you think you're at the proper end of the game, make sure you have an active Internet connection. I'm mostly an offline player these days unless specifically playing something online. Due to not having an Internet connection for this point when I reached it, I had a rage inducing moment which forced me to look online where I'd previously just experienced it as I went.. As I had no idea how to proceed.
Spoiler!
when you get to the credits hacking style mini game after playing all paths, if you don't have a net connection you don't get asked for assistance from other players.

Fighting the credits gets bullshit hard, and though as proven not impossible, but fucking difficult to do for your average player.

Felt this was a little bit of a troll move from Yoko Taro and punished although a small few, the players that weren't playing 'always online'. I enjoyed the online features in the dark souls vein, but liked that I could try it when I was online.

Was disappointed to learn it became so randomly integral right at the end of the game.
Anyways, worth a mention despite possibly only being relevant to a few. Ended up playing ridiculously late into a work night thinking I was right at the end, turns out I was but a net connection being an almost requirement screwed me.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

The Lizard Emporium is selling this for $47 new at the moment.