AFL Evolution - 05/05/17 (PS4/XBox One) 21/07/17 (PC)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

flipswitch
que
que

Re: AFL Evolution - 05/05/17 (PS4/XBox One) TBA (PC)

Post by flipswitch »

Just checked, and yes it does appear to be a demo available.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

:aussie:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

That's not a demo it's the Fan Hub app
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Women's League confirmed!
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Who in their right mind would want to play as the Womens league let alone watch it lol
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

If there's an Achievement, I'll play it :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

They would have to give them all player ratings with a max of 15 for it to simulate properly. I say Im disappointed they are wasting precious dev time on adding women's stuff that not 1 person is buying it for, it is a ridiculous decision when you have served up complete turds previously
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

It's probably a directive from the AFL.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I have no doubt, it's a typical AFL move. If only they realised they were damaging the end product by doing it, for all means whack the womens game in, in maybe 5 iterations time when you have a decent game but for now just put all the money into making a good game.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

I love that the player creator is better than Andromeda's :lol: :up:
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GWS players playing the game
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

guttermouth wrote:

GWS players playing the game
Considering the budget, time and size of the team, it looked pretty damn good! I'm hanging to get it next week! I'll finally be able to get the blues to win another flag this year!!!
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

STREET DATE BROKEN.......
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Isn't it out tomorrow anyway, May 5th?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

That way you can return it tomorrow.
Ambrose Burnside

Was originally going to wait for the Steam version, but with some birthday gift cards burning a hole in my wallet, I caved.

Day One patch includes the Women's League.

I've played two games. The second was for shits and giggles, West Coast vs Freo Women. Dennis's line at the end "Fremantle have had their pants pulled down" made me :lol:

So far, so good. The graphics aren't the best, wasn't expecting them to be though. Commentary once again reuses lines from previous games. I don't know why they bothered with Richo. Some of the animations look cool. My favourite moment was in the first game, throw in West Coast forward pocket, Nic Nat won the tap against Sandi, Priddis gathers and snaps a goal. With most players, it's obvious who they are. Some of the tackles and hip and shoulders are brutal.

Easy is too easy, I won both games comfortably. Reading online the jump to Medium is quite steep, so looking forward to that. Also looking forward to Be a Pro mode.

Will post more detailed impressions over the weekend.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Have they fixed the terrible gameplay from live 2? Reading around doesnt sound great like how have u found the marking?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Trying to take a mark is so frustrating. So far not enjoying the game
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

This is like the Sonic Cycle. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside

The jump to medium is indeed quite steep. Got well beaten.

Marking is quite difficult. Not as difficult as in AFL Live 1 where I ended up giving up and just spoilt everything, but still difficult. It seems timing based, in that you get early, good and late notifications pop up when you press the mark button, but also positioning based as I've been early/late and still marked because I had space between me and my opponent. And vice versa, I've had good pop up but been outmarked cos my opponent was in a better position. I need to work on my timing and positioning. I also tend to just bomb it long rather than try to pick out leading players, which doesn't help.

There seems to be a few bugs in general play that weren't as noticeable on Easy. For example, it seems impossible to win a free kick for holding the ball, the other team always seem to get a handpass away, or it's called no prior. Yet when I get tackled, I'm pinged for either holding the ball, or if my mashing of the handpass button is successful, pinged for a throw.

The free kick situation seems universal, but there are reports of people playing online against people that have mastered marking. Wicked Witch have said they're working on a patch, but haven't said what's in it yet.

I'm thinking of playing Be a Pro mode for a while, create myself and just play as me (on Easy) to work on positioning and timing.
Ambrose Burnside

I like this clip. You see linking handpasses, an actual running game with a noticeable increase in speed when Gaff starts to sprint (!!!) and a mark to a leading forward. Hell it even looks like Shuey ducks as he gets tackled :lol:

Moments like this and it feels like the best AFL game ever. Just got to master the marking.

Facescanned players look great. Darling even has the right amount of stubble!
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Yeah I've noticed the holding the ball issue. Another issue so far I found just like the previous game is everytime you go to kick you get tackled, the only way to move is just handball forward. The game is really missing a training mode where you can practice the skills, the free mode is pretty useless. Going to give it another bash on the weekend and workout which camera angle is best
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Turned the difficulty level down, mark is less frustrating, enjoying the game a bit now. Completed the VFL season and won the Grand Final
Ambrose Burnside

End-to-end for me, I like being able to see what's in front of me.

I know I said I'd play Be a Pro, but I just want to get stuck into it so played some more single games. Won my first game on Medium (against an AFL team, I beat China earlier :lol: ) :D A 2 point win over Carlton :D

They outmarked me 29-6 :| but most of their marks were those annoying not-15m kicks. Have you experienced them? That definitely needs to be patched. When I marked it I was always clearly in a better position (on the lead or able to out-body them). Feels good. As per the advice I've read, I turned off kick assist and tried to kick to the advantage of my leading players. Seemed to work well.

They also need to patch the free kick issue. Stats definitely come into it though, I won the free kick count vs China, but when the teams are more evenly matched, the AI team definitely gets the rub.

Love using the right stick to evade tacklers though. When it all comes together (evade, handball chain, mark to leading forward) this is the best AFL game I've played. Better than AFL Live 1. If Wicked Witch are able to iron out the bugs (and yes, make marking a bit clearer), they have a winner.

No regrets with this purchase.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:End-to-end for me, I like being able to see what's in front of me.

I know I said I'd play Be a Pro, but I just want to get stuck into it so played some more single games. Won my first game on Medium (against an AFL team, I beat China earlier :lol: ) :D A 2 point win over Carlton :D

They outmarked me 29-6 :| but most of their marks were those annoying not-15m kicks. Have you experienced them? That definitely needs to be patched. When I marked it I was always clearly in a better position (on the lead or able to out-body them). Feels good. As per the advice I've read, I turned off kick assist and tried to kick to the advantage of my leading players. Seemed to work well.

They also need to patch the free kick issue. Stats definitely come into it though, I won the free kick count vs China, but when the teams are more evenly matched, the AI team definitely gets the rub.

Love using the right stick to evade tacklers though. When it all comes together (evade, handball chain, mark to leading forward) this is the best AFL game I've played. Better than AFL Live 1. If Wicked Witch are able to iron out the bugs (and yes, make marking a bit clearer), they have a winner.

No regrets with this purchase.
Those not 15 metre passes s are frustrating as FUCK, and marking is ridiculously hard in a 1 on 1 contest. Other than that, gameplay seems fine. Really happy with my purchase and beating the pies by 121 points helps relieve some frustration!