AFL Evolution - 05/05/17 (PS4/XBox One) 21/07/17 (PC)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: AFL Evolution - 05/05/17 (PS4/XBox One) TBA (PC)

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

For me the game is *this* close to being everything I wanted (given their budget and the complexities of the sport). Here are my suggestions on how they can bridge the gap:

I think there's a really simple solution for marking: Make the circles turn green when you're supposed to hit Y. A nice, clear visual aid.

Other fixes:

Free kicks. You always get pinged for HTB/throw, the AI rarely does. This feels like a cheap way to increase difficulty but it just makes it frustrating.
The advantage rule. It's completely broken. If it's too hard to implement properly, drop it entirely.
The dinky little marks that get paid to the AI when the ball clearly hasn't travelled 15m.

I think these issues cause the most frustration for me. Fix them (and the silly little ones like Gov Jnr being 32 instead of 22 etc) and this game will be great. And from what I can see, they should be rather simple fixes. Even if one of them might be ditching the advantage rule completely.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

I'm getting there. Took 14 marks (including at least 8 contested to earn one of the match objectives) vs Freo on Normal :D Before I'd only manage about 4-6 :|
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

I still haven't managed a specky yet.
Ambrose Burnside

Neither have I.
Ambrose Burnside

Managed 19 marks vs Adelaide. A new personal best.

Really enjoying this.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:For me the game is *this* close to being everything I wanted (given their budget and the complexities of the sport). Here are my suggestions on how they can bridge the gap:

I think there's a really simple solution for marking: Make the circles turn green when you're supposed to hit Y. A nice, clear visual aid.

Other fixes:

Free kicks. You always get pinged for HTB/throw, the AI rarely does. This feels like a cheap way to increase difficulty but it just makes it frustrating.
The advantage rule. It's completely broken. If it's too hard to implement properly, drop it entirely.
The dinky little marks that get paid to the AI when the ball clearly hasn't travelled 15m.

I think these issues cause the most frustration for me. Fix them (and the silly little ones like Gov Jnr being 32 instead of 22 etc) and this game will be great. And from what I can see, they should be rather simple fixes. Even if one of them might be ditching the advantage rule completely.
I didnt even put 2 and 2 together reading bigfooty thread until now
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Haha
Ambrose Burnside

Started playing on Hard this evening. Beaten by Carlton by about 3 goals. Just played Gold Coast. This was the scoreline (2.5 min quarters):

West Coast 0.0 (0) Gold Coast 2.2 (14)
West Coast 0.0 (0) Gold Coast 3.3 (21)
West Coast 1.0 (6) Gold Coast 3.5 (23)
West Coast 5.0 (30) Gold Coast 3.5 (23)

So pumped!

:run: :nana:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I can't out mark my opponent in this game. Frustrating the fuck out of me.
Ambrose Burnside

I tap Y/Triangle at the moment the two circles become one.

I have yet to master the positioning and jostling aspect. I never seem to have enough time.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Vince wrote:I can't out mark my opponent in this game. Frustrating the fuck out of me.
Have you tried droping the difficulty? Helped me with marking, but game became to easy.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

guttermouth wrote:
Vince wrote:I can't out mark my opponent in this game. Frustrating the fuck out of me.
Have you tried droping the difficulty? Helped me with marking, but game became to easy.
I believe I'm playing on Easy (there's beginner, then easy, medium etc...). Medium is too fucking hard to mark. Beginner I can mark if I'm on my own. But 1 on 1 I can't mark 99% of the time. Once the circles align it still tells me I'm too early pressing triangle. It's so frustrating. They fix that (plus some rules that are borked and the commentary mistakes) I'm happy to continue playing this game. Unfortunately I'll be playing less as, going through a season, if the opposition gets a hold of the ball, they get a free run down field as I can't mark or spoil.
Ambrose Burnside

I've won three in a row now on Hard. Most recent (vs Melbourne) was the most satisfying. The first two were crazy comebacks like the scoreline I posted earlier, but the most recent I was in the lead all game (by a goal or two), they scored a late goal to tie things up at three quarter time, I kicked 3 goals to one in the last to win. I managed to pass it around by hand and get a player free a few times to then run and kick it into the forward 50. That feels so damn good. Sammy Mitchell voted BOG, probably because of the inside work I managed to do.

They outmark me (I think most recently was about 30-15 in their favour) but most of the time I know why. It's usually positional and I still haven't mastered that. I'm ignoring trying to beat them when they do the dinky little passes that are unstoppable, and I understand they are to be patched out of the game, I'm talking about contested one-on-ones or pack situations. Although if I take out all the dinky little passes they do I reckon I'm a lot closer to winning 50% of marking contests. When I do manage to jostle them out of the contest and take a mark, it's very satisfying.

Can't wait for a patch or two, this game is so close to nailing it. Although from reading BigFooty there does seem to be a few issues with Be a Pro mode etc so I'm holding off on them until the patches arrive.

Oh, and with the free kicks. I earned quite a few my way vs Melbourne and also had a lot more ball ups instead of being pinged for HTB or throw. It seems if you hammer the handpass button when you get tackled, you're more likely to throw it. If you just hit it once and it doesn't come out, it's more likely to be a ball up for no prior. I think I get their reasoning (hammering the button implies panicking, which is what happens a lot of the time when they throw it, (unless they're the Bulldogs then it's their cheating tactic)) but it's still weird.
Ambrose Burnside

I need to study this. This guy is damn good. There's a lot of depth to the game, I feel like I'm still just scratching the surface.

PS: I can't beat Hawthorn at the G on Hard. Come within a goal twice. The curse is real :(
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Can't believe how often the AI missing goals when in the goal square. So my tactic is to give them a 50 metre penalty eveytime they mark the ball around the 50 metre line. Then they shoot miss, get a point....continue
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I've slowly progressed from Medium to Hard and am really enjoying this now.

My first win on hard I came back from 30 odd points down at 3 qtr time to win a JLT game by a couple of points.

Next game I played I go smashed by 40 add points (So that ruled out catch up AI in the prior game)

Third one I played on hard was a tight tussle all afternoon going down by a point in a heart breaker.

I know the game is an average video game and wont disagree with a lot of the gripes.

But I am really enjoying the challenge far more than I ever have before in a footy game.

They usually last a few hours before your smashing the AI on the hardest difficulty by 100 points consistently so this is a massive improvement in that respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2nd place is the first loser....

Ambrose Burnside

Yeah there's a definite learning curve. Been amusing reading BigFooty and Facebook and seeing people give up after an hour because they haven't mastered it yet.

It's the best AFL game I've played (and I've played almost all of them) and I still can't beat Hawthorn at the G on Hard. Stupid realism.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

if it were that real your mob wouldn't be able to beat anyone at the G, let alone Hawthorn :D
2nd place is the first loser....

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Does it have the stadium in Shanghai in it? The one we just saw Australia's oldest and most successful club win at!?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Massive patch coming Friday:
PATCH 2A RELEASE! FRIDAY JUNE 9th, 3pm AEST.

PATCH 2B TBA.

Thank you for the ongoing support and feedback for AFL Evolution! We have been listening to all your feedback and working hard to improve the game accordingly. We are committed to delivering a PATCH, scheduled into stages, 2A and 2B, with 2A focusing on pressing issues and 2B to solve smaller issues and a few “Nice to haves”. In the meantime, while you are eagerly waiting to get your hands on PATCH 2A, here is the list of improvements and fixes which you will get to enjoy upon downloading the PATCH on Friday.

Gameplay:
-Adjustments to the advantage rule.
* Added a time window where no advantage can be claimed by pressing the L3 button.
* Turning over the ball during this time will automatically trigger no advantage.

-Adjustments to interchange and AI stamina usage to increase the number of interchanges that occur.

-Decreased the kick charge times for difficulties below "Medium" to allow quicker kicking.

-Fixed an issue where players were not reset in the 3rd quarter. (Including the pro player not being put back on)

-Fixed an issue with AI goal kick accuracy on all difficulties except "Legend".
* AI goal kick accuracy should now also be more realistic for all difficulties.

-50m penalties now have a grace period where the player can leave the area before the penalty being called.
* The player indicator will flash when you are in the penalty area.

-AI is more likely to be called for holding the ball and throwing the ball.

-Added 3.5 minute and 7.5 minute quarter length options.

-Backs and half backs are now less likely to leave their man when set to the "defending" tactic.

Marking:
-Adjustments to player mark timing to make it more consistent.

-Player mark timing should be more forgiving on easier difficulties.

-The mark circle now flashes blue at the optimum timing to release the mark button.

Listed and Rookie Career:

-Added option to "simulate to next appearance" when fatigued in game.

-Added ability to plead guilty to a 1 week tribunal charge.

-Fixed an issue with pro player being injured or suspended at the end of a match, that could lead to extra quarters and a crash.

Coach Career:
-Made the AI more selective about the trades it will accept in coach career.
* Lowered the value of draft picks in the eyes of the AI.

-Adjustments to the severity of suspensions to make them more realistic.

-Fixed the home grounds for clubs being incorrect in future years of Career mode.

-Fixed excessive number of draws in simulated games.

-Team stats should have more influence on the winner and point margin of simulated games.

-Lowered the overall rating for AFL draft players.

-Fixed an issue with heights/weights not correlating to draft positions. (Ruckmen should now be taller)

-Fixed some issues causing duplicate guernsey numbers.

Difficulty adjustments:
-Renamed Easy to Very Easy.

-Added a replacement Easy difficulty that is slightly harder.

-Added a new difficulty "Challenging" in between "Medium" and "Hard"

-Added a new difficulty "Very Hard" in between "Hard" and "Legend"

-Some adjustments to AI pressure calculations.

Online:

-Fixed an exploit with maximum weight players in online gameplay.

-Fixed an issue where the ball teleported after a bump in online play.

-Fixed a multiplayer desync where a player fumbled the ball only on one console.

-Improvements to mark lag compensation to reduce ball delaying in the air.

-Marking contests should be more even between both players in online play.

-Improvements to tackling in high latency conditions.

General fixes:
-Adjustments to controller and tips instruction screens.

-Fixed an issue that could cause the ball to hang in the air.

-Fixed an issue with the Umpire missing at ball up after a goal is kicked.

-Fixed an issue with not being able to sprint when waiting for a behind kickout.

-Fixed not being able to make manual interchanges as the away team in Competition mode.

-The away team now runs on to the ground before the home team.

-Fixed the man of the match portraits being wrong when positions had been interchanged.

-Wind indicator option now correctly disables the wind indicator on the ground.

-Fixed an issue causing commentary at the end of a match about the opening bounce.

-Fixed some cases where ball would get marked as it simultaneously crossed the goal line and it was paid as a mark.

-Fixed an issue where marks could be paid, when the ball had not travelled 15m.

-Fixed an issue with commentators calling the wrong player names.

-Fixed an issue with deleting downloaded teams that could lead to crashes and general instability.

-Replay animation playback should now be smoother.

-Fixed some issues with the following trophies: "Silverware", "The Barrel", "Back to Back to Back", "Tackle fest"

-Various commentary fixes.

-Various other fixes and improvements.

While we are hard at work on PATCH 2B, feel free to give us further feedback and we will do our best to please you.
Sounds like they're fixing my main issues with the game! :up:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Jesus, reminds me of the patch notes for the Master Chief Collection.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Can finally install friday, was wauting on thus patch. WW have done more than I expected and the second patch sounds like newe features which was unexpected
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Why I'm so pumped:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:For me the game is *this* close to being everything I wanted (given their budget and the complexities of the sport). Here are my suggestions on how they can bridge the gap:

Marking:
-Adjustments to player mark timing to make it more consistent.

-Player mark timing should be more forgiving on easier difficulties.

-The mark circle now flashes blue at the optimum timing to release the mark button.
Ambrose Burnside wrote:Other fixes:

-AI is more likely to be called for holding the ball and throwing the ball.
Ambrose Burnside wrote:The advantage rule. It's completely broken. If it's too hard to implement properly, drop it entirely.
-Adjustments to the advantage rule.
* Added a time window where no advantage can be claimed by pressing the L3 button.
* Turning over the ball during this time will automatically trigger no advantage.
Ambrose Burnside wrote:The dinky little marks that get paid to the AI when the ball clearly hasn't travelled 15m.
-Fixed an issue where marks could be paid, when the ball had not travelled 15m.

I sent that post to Wicked Witch directly via Facebook PM and they replied to my message too so I'm taking full credit :lol:

The more I play the more this bug frustrates me too, and they're fixing it:

-Backs and half backs are now less likely to leave their man when set to the "defending" tactic.

I've had so many cheap goals kicked against me because a defender would leave their man even though I didn't want them to, chip over the top to the now free forward, goal.
Ambrose Burnside

Re: AFL Evolution - 05/05/17 (PS4/XBox One) 21/07/17 (PC)

It's out now on PC (Steam) with the 2B patch already installed (not yet out for console).

Improvements in 2B appear to be updated uniforms (since BLK went bust), improved animations, a lot more camera angles and other variables for full camera customisation (can even go full top-down!), gameplay sliders (quite a lot of these actually, everything from game speed to AI accuracy (close range, mid range, long range and on-the-run all separate sliders, sliders for marking, tackling etc. Looks like you can turn off (or at least make less likely) free kicks for throwing the ball, in the back, whatever rule you want!)

I caved and grabbed this on Xbox, so really looking forward to the 2B patch now. Shouldn't be long if the PC version has it!

This guy goes through the changes: