googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Scorpio / Xbox One X

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Madmya wrote:
unfnknblvbl wrote:
Madmya wrote:
This is what gets me. Xerox is the console we've all wanted from Microsoft and people can't help but shit-can it. I just... don't get it.
Possibly because it's three years too late to make a substantial difference to this gen.
Oh yeah the gen's over. I dunno, I just don't find it that big of a deal that xbox will come second if we get something like the BoneX.
They could have waited another 12 months and laid the smack down with a zen-based CPU
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

t0mby wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:And cost. Has the most expensive console ever "won"?

Especially when the most expensive is also the least powerful.
Playstation 2 says hi.
That's only vs the Dreamcast though right? I don't recall the PS2 being more expensive than the Xbox when the Xbox launched. I do remember a quick Xbox price drop and maybe even games being given away? But my memory is sketchy.

It was an exciting time though. Halo bursting onto the scene (with PGR) the same year the PS2 got GTA3, GT3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Jak and Daxter, Ico etc etc etc holy shit what a year. Easily one of the best ever. There's obviously been awesome times before and since, but for me that was the best time for console gaming. So many all-nighters playing local MP Halo and TimeSplitters and ISS and stuff. It's really been the death of split screen and local MP in general that saw me drift away from consoles. Still being in Year 12 in 2001 probably helped too :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
t0mby wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:And cost. Has the most expensive console ever "won"?

Especially when the most expensive is also the least powerful.
Playstation 2 says hi.
That's only vs the Dreamcast though right? I don't recall the PS2 being more expensive than the Xbox when the Xbox launched. I do remember a quick Xbox price drop and maybe even games being given away? But my memory is sketchy.
Dreamcast was $600 at launch, Xbox $500 I believe and the Playstation 2 was $1200.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside

Oh yeah if you're comparing their costs at launch then yeah, you're right. But that's not really what I was talking about.

How much was the PS2 when the Xbox launched? PS4 and Xbox One launched at the same time, but the more expensive one was less powerful because Microsoft are derp. The opposite happened last gen, when the PS3 was stupidly expensive, launched last, and was less powerful (or at least seemed that way when comparing third party games for years until developers got to grips with it).
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

You asked if the most expensive console had ever won and PS2 was the least powerful out of GC, PS2 and Xbox.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside

And while it was the most expensive it also had a monopoly so of course it "won" during that period. Jesus :lol:

Once competition arrived it wasn't the most expensive.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Stop moving the goalposts! :D
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

unfnknblvbl wrote:They could have waited another 12 months and laid the smack down with a zen-based CPU
I'd be fine with that. But I think with a dramatic upgrade in the CPU you're now looking at a generational leap, which will not go down well with existing bone owners.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Yeah what I've read is they had to stick with jaguar for the sake of compatibility with the existing library.
I wouldn't know if that's load of BS or not?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yeah, surely it'd be like developing games for the 360 and bone simultaneously. You'd have to have separate dev teams you'd think. It'd be like a new generation.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Madmya wrote:
unfnknblvbl wrote:They could have waited another 12 months and laid the smack down with a zen-based CPU
I'd be fine with that. But I think with a dramatic upgrade in the CPU you're now looking at a generational leap, which will not go down well with existing bone owners.
That's why I suggested it. Waiting 12 months and getting the next gen off to an awesome start, assuming full BC and enhancement with existing bone software..

I doubt there's much incompatibility between Jaguar and Zen, it's probably just a timing thing that it didn't happen.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside

Why would there be incompatibility? I can understand the past when consoles were really unique (Cell processors and so forth) but aren't they basically little PCs now? And a processor upgrade will be like upgrading the processor in your PC?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Madmya wrote:
It's the most cost effective way to put themselves in the gap between generation leaps. If they went to a new gen with the best they could get then they'd be screwed when Sony goes much bigger next time. Be the DC over again.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Xbox X = mid gen upgrade to current gen consoles. They are reacting to PS4 Pro which is what the X model is for just so they can say "we can do 4K too"

next gen starts when Sony bring out the PS5.

That's when MS can bring out true next gen console.

You guys need to understand that MS is in reaction mode.

Just like DS was supposed to be the "reaction" to PSP even though non-gamers liked the touchscreen gimmick crap.

If the X model doesn't sell well, they can eventually kill off the original Bone model much like nintendo is killing of New 3DS since new 3DS XL is the more popular model.

The X is just for those who have 4K tv not the next gen system. Even though it's more popwerful than base xbox, it's always going to be seen as the mid-gen reaction console imo.

The 10 year console cycle is over. Developers need to be told that consoles must catch up with pc spec a bit. The PC is dying. No big budget Half Life sequel means console are dominating. If consoles were more powerful then games like Witcher 3 wouldn't have had to look crap. It benefits both console and pc gamers to have mid-gen cycle. But probably harder on developers who can sell more games on established userbase. Next gen should be 4K hopefully 60FPS for HD remasters of last gen games, and 4K at consistent 30 FPS for pretty games that are made exclusively for the platform. (ie next elder scrolls game which will hopefully use a new engine)

The shitty coders want to make nice looking games too and the only way to help them is giving them more power. If fallout 4 looks like shit and chugs, it will chug a bit less on the more powerful system. But if you are poor, you should be able to still play the game at a consistent 30FPS (even in the busiest sections of the game) at least which is where the budget model needs to be available so developers can still rake in the $ to fund the next game. (pirates on pc won't fund jack shit because they are used to getting things for free lol)

4K exists now with these mid-gen upgrades, but is it TRUE 4K (no checkerboarding gimmicks) at CONSISTENT 60FPS? That's what next gen should aim for. (beauty with smothness and no dipping at the busy sections with lots of effects on) The premium model is the model you trade your old console in to keep the framerate consistent 30 as developers get too ambitious by putting in too many effects as they always have at the tail end of a 5 year console gen. Eg in perfect dark on the n64 where framerates got ridiculously low compared to goldeneye which used much plainer graphics but ran smooth) It's more about gameplay then anything. If shit coders exist, then their games will still be smooth without having to sacrifice beauty if you buy premium models. (face it bethesda were never known as gods of making smooth running titles)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Madmya wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:Can the developers really use the extra power for 60fps if they so choose though?
To be clear, neither Microsoft nor Sony are mandating that developers work on 4K output — studios are free to use the extra power to deliver better 1080p performance if that’s what they want to do.
Yes.
Rounding off the package of rendering modes is another port from PlayStation 4 Pro - the high frame-rate option. This drops back the quality to base PS4/Xbox One equivalent settings and unlocks performance, diverting the Scorpio Engine's power to raw throughput. Unfortunately, the demo doesn't include the Geothermal Valley - the ultimate stress test area for the title, and particularly stressful on CPU - but the entirety of the Prophet's Tomb level played back locked at 60 frames per second.
Ambrose Burnside

Oh that's brilliant :up:

Is it an option available to all games out of the box or do they need to patch it in?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Patch it in unfortunately, so I'd say it's going to be a rarity. It is entirely up to the developer and it just looks like Tomb Raider is willing to offer the choice:
Other games are mentioned here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... escom-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... but none mention a high framerate mode. To me that seems like the easiest upgrade - base game but just unlock the framerate.

Either way, I'm excited.

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

There's a 60fps mode at 1080p, native 4k and checkerboard mode 4k.

From GAF
3 versions

4k native 30
4K CB with even more extra details and 30
1080p with 60fps.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

WOW! Target have confirmed they will NOT be selling the Xbox One X... :shock: :shock: :shock:

How fucking hilarious! Target (aka Australia's largest department store) already know (like many) that the Xbox One X is a dead on arrival piece of shit! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Shit, if Target aren't stocking it... how will I be able to buy it?!
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

You're missing the point! :roll:

The only other gaming system in recent history that Target have refused to sell was the PS Vita. The fact that Target are refusing to sell the Xbox One X is a crystal clear demonstration that they - like many, have determined the Xbox One X is destined to fail! :cry:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Jasper wrote:You're missing the point! :roll:

The only other gaming system in recent history that Target have refused to sell was the PS Vita. The fact that Target are refusing to sell the Xbox One X is a crystal clear demonstration that they - like many, have determined the Xbox One X is destined to fail! :cry:
Oh fucking bullshit. Firstly, Target is in decline and ready to become a part of K Mart. Secondly, how many Nintendo consoles did Aussie retailers refuse to sell???
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

All of the flop consoles like Virtual Boy, Wii U and Switch?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Target is only good for buying underwear and the odd TV tray. The game section is proper povo, the average Target shopper is buying no name brand juicing machines and Nintendo consoles
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

To be fair, those juicing machines have a stronger software lineup than the Xbox One X.

It's not a great sign that one of Australia's biggest retailers isn't stocking the system. If you want to compare this to Nintendo consoles, well sure... the Virtual Boy was never released in Australia, every other Nintendo console was widely stocked. Target dropped the Wii U when it was apparent it was a commercial failure- the difference being that was years after release, not before launch as is the case here.