Total War: Warhammer

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Total War: Warhammer

Post by Candy Arse »

Fuck what a bargain.

Absolutely one of the best TW games ever.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

The sequel is out this week, and getting some great reviews.

I still suck at the original but looking forward to the sequel. Can't wait for them to join them together for the most insanely epic campaign ever!
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Pre-loading for the game started today, I seriously can't wait. Game looks brilliant and I love LOVE the original. The modding scene turned it from a very good game to probably the best TW game ever.
Ambrose Burnside

I feel like a broken record saying this is the best Total War game so far, since I’ve felt that way about each major release since Attila. But it really is true: Creative Assembly’s designers are honing their campaign and faction design consistently from game to game, and that progression is clearly on display in Total War Warhammer 2. There’s not as much progress as I’d have liked to see in the politics and diplomacy systems, which show only modest improvements. But each of the four factions is a distinct and fun-to-play addition to the growing roster. The story and objective-driven campaign is a league above anything we’ve seen in the entire Total War series before in both design and presentation. I’m anxious to see how it all fits together when the combined Mortal Empires campaign is released to owners of both games later this year.

9.1 - Amazing

Four fun, distinct factions and a story-driven campaign in Total War: Warhammer 2 set a new bar for the series.
IGN
It's typical for each Total War game to be followed by a smaller sibling, a high quality standalone expansion as Attila was to Rome 2 or Fall of the Samurai was to Shogun 2. Warhammer has gone in the opposite direction. We had one large-scale strategy game of turn-based campaigning and real-time battles in the fantasy setting of the Old World, and now a year later we get another, bigger one—with promise of a third still to come.

There are so many tiny improvements in Warhammer 2 it's hard to list them all. The notifications when you press end turn without doing something the computer expects you to do aren't as obnoxious; heroes are less essential and the AI relies on them less; the map seamlessly zooms up into the tactical level (though I'll have to wait for an equivalent of the mod that let me zoom in for close-ups in the first game); rogue armies made of mixes of different factions roam around to add variety to battles. Instead of constructing buildings that unlock another building's ability to produce a specific elite troop, you are often constructing buildings that unlock parts of the tech tree. These are all individually small tweaks but definite improvements nonetheless.

9.2 - A maximalist sequel that improves on almost every aspect of the first game.
PC Gamer
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yep the reviews are super strong. Eurogamer said the same thing - best TW game yet.

Fuck....YEAH. There goes another 300 hours :lol:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Definitely getting this game at some point. Hoping it appears in the Humble Bundle like the first one though down the track.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ambrose Burnside

Installing now. Went the Limited Edition again. It matches the Limited Edition of the original nicely :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Mine's ready to play when I get home!!!
Ambrose Burnside

It comes on four DVDs and only installs ~50% of the game. Dunno if that's because of a 0-day patch or not, but still annoying.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OK so this game is fucking AWESOME. Right out of the gate it's WAY better than Warhammer 1 was and that was brilliant.

The Steam Workshop is now open too so here come the awesome mods!
Ambrose Burnside

I've thrown myself back into the original because I really want to finish it at least once before I tackle the sequel, first time in AGES I completely lost track of time with the old "just one more turn" thing on Sunday night. Monday was a struggle :(

Doing a lot better this time around than in the past. Have had to reload a few saves cos I keep finding myself dragged into wars on two fronts. But doing OK. Don't quite understand how diplomacy works, some factions (even human ones, I'm playing as Empire) just seem to hate you no matter what you do.

Struggling to get gold too. Trying to upgrade my blacksmith to get artillery.

But man it's fun. I can do quite well now when on the battlefield.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

What faction are you using? Have you installed any mods?
Ambrose Burnside

Empire, and nope.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Go to the Workshop and install the Radious mods - shitloads more units, rebalanced units (buffs and nerfs), rebalanced economy, rebalanced skill point acquisitions for heroes and agents, retooled AI so they put together intelligent army compositions and use intelligent tactics.

Base Warhammer, and Warhammer 2, are extremely frugal games in terms of how you earn money and thusly how many armies you can field at any one time.

With Radious you are swimming in money, thus can put together a hell of a fighting force.

...but so can the other factions so prepare for combat ;)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The Mortal Empires DLC is out now! This is the one that combines the two games into a gigantic campaign...wooooooo!!!!! Fuck Mario this is the best release today!
Ambrose Burnside

I'm not ready for it. Going to play it anyway. Jesus Christ how are they going to add the third game to it?

This is the ultimate Total War AND Warhammer game. Nothing comes close.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Agreed. The Blood DLC is out too, free if you're an idiot like me who bought the original Blood DLC for the first game :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

I haven't bought any DLC for it yet, the DLC I do have are the ones they released for free or the ones like Chaos and Norsca they released as preorder bonuses. That's still about 10 pieces of DLC though, including Mortal Empires and Bretonnia, which is pretty awesome support. :up:

At the very least, I'll have to get Wood Elves and Beastmen at some point. I do like how they still appear in the campaign as AI factions even though I don't own the DLC so can't play as them though!
Ambrose Burnside

I love how open these guys are:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/warhammer ... ent-update

Some choice quotes:
Things have gotten complicated since I started making games. About a hundred million times more complicated. The first game I wrote for the Sinclair Spectrum back in the 80’s fitted into 41 kilobytes. An uncompressed WARHAMMER II build is about 112GB of data, spread across about 800,000 files. And at any point in time there are more than 30 different branches of Total War in development, each of which needs its own copy of those 112GB, so work on one aspect of the game in one branch doesn’t cause bugs in another.

There are branches for different games and DLCs, different builds and releases for each, small progressive changes and long-term rewrites. They constantly branch, progress, complete and merge back together again. ARENA uses streams – they’re the speed-dating version of branches. Shorter lived, more casually started and dropped, and very numerous – there are about a hundred of them.

So TW as a whole is about a hundred million times bigger than that first game I wrote in 1984.

“So what?” you may say. “Sure, it’s complicated, but there are hundreds of you now, trained to the teeth, with cutting edge tools and a thousand machines the equivalent of 80’s supercomputers. It’s like the Matrix down there in Horsham now.

It’s a fair point.

The truth is we screwed up

The changes to the database structure between WARHAMMER I and WARHAMMER II and the ongoing code and database changes for Mortal Empires made it very difficult to un-tangle the Norsca content, once it had been copied across to WARHAMMER II. As the weeks passed, we realised that it would probably be easier to re-implement Norsca in WARHAMMER II, rather than straighten out the Norsca content copied over from WARHAMMER I. And so, having lost months, we’ve now decided to pick the next point where all the branches are back together (after the next major content update), and then re-implement Norsca from scratch in WARHAMMER II. This won’t be quick, but it is guaranteed to work.

And so we add one more thing to the long list of dumb mistakes we’re never going to make again…
Future plans:
December: Reprisal Update rollout for Mortal Empires. This contains equivalent Foundation Update skill/campaign improvements to Old World Legendary Lords and Chaos, and will also include some new changes and fixes for Mortal Empires. We’re also bundling in a free, new (and highly experimental!) game mode which we’ve had in our back pocket for a while now. More news on this later in the week.

January: Our first Campaign Pack was initially planned for this year, but will slip to January. Not to seem too… cryptic… but It’s a hugely characterful and significant addition to both Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires, and we’re pretty sure people are going to enjoy it. We’ll also be rolling out another Mortal Empires update alongside this release to address any further issues post-Reprisal Update.

May: Yes, this is a bit of a gap, but this is how long our painstaking re-implementation of Norsca will take to get added to Mortal Empires. This update will include Norsca and its full roster, updates to various aspects of the race (eg techs, New World race interactions) to make them appropriate and relevant as well as the 30th birthday Regiments of Renown. There will also be further updates to other aspects of Mortal Empires.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So good. Mortal Empires is amazing, TW at its absolute best.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The Dark Elves are really fun to play, especially once you get to grips with the slaves mechanic and how to maintain public order in your provinces. Because of the loyalty mechanic you're forced into being aggressive and seeking out combat much like the Greenskins.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The Tomb Kings DLC dropped this week and it's fucking BRILLIANT. As is now standard for the TW Warhammer games, the Tomb Kings play very different to everyone else.

I'm now ready to say it definitively - this is the best Total War game ever.

Warhammer/Warhammer 2
Shogun 2: Fall of The Samurai
Rome 2: Emperor Edition

Are my top 3.
Ambrose Burnside

Free DLC too (Skaven Lord).

I need someone to give me enough money so I can retire and catch up on my backlog.
Ambrose Burnside

And where can they go from here with Total War 3? :shock:
Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burnside wrote:And where can they go from here with Total War 3? :shock:
IT'S HAPPENING!!!
[The trailer] shows off the Ice Queen of Kislev doing battle with her magic, and according to the studio’s press release, Total War: Warhammer III will mark the first time the Kislev and Cathay races have appeared in a game. Chaos factions Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch will also be present.
For the third, the grand campaign revolves around "saving or exploiting the power of a dying god." Today's announcement says "Each race offers a unique journey through the nightmarish Chaos Realm, culminating in an endgame that will determine the fate of the world." Seems irresponsible to put that in my hands.

Creative Assembly are still planning to release a massive map rolling all three games into one campaign, for people who own all three, though they do note in an FAQ that "currently our focus is on Total War: Warhammer III." The Mortal Empires campaign ended up hitting Twarhammer 2 a month after launch, and this does make it sound like Twarhammer 3's might likewise follow later.

Total Warhammer 3 will come to Epic as well as Steam, and they plan to bring the first two over too. If you already own either on Steam, it's probably best to stick to Steam as you won't have access to the others or their DLC on Epic. So you'd need all three on the same store to play the combined map, and so on. While they do "hope" to implement a way for people to link Steam and Epic accounts, don't count on it. "We cannot guarantee this functionality at any point currently," they say, "but will continue to work towards it in cooperation with the store front operators."

Total War: Warhammer 3 is due out later this year on Steam and the Epic Games Store. It'll be on at least Windows at launch, with Mac and Linux versions from Feral Interactive coming "as close to launch day as possible". They're planning to offer a Race Pack as the "Early Adopter bonus" for folks who pre-order or buy within the first week.
I have the retail Limited Edition for the first two, they look awesome, so if they a) don't release one for the third at all or b) only release it for the Epic Store, I am going to be seriously pissed off.

Candy, you preordered yet? :P
Last edited by Ambrose Burnside on 05 Nov 2021 09:33 am, edited 1 time in total.