10. Assassin's Creed Origins
09. Horizon Zero Dawn
08. Cuphead
07. Wolfenstein 2
06. Destiny 2
05. PUBG
04. Battlefront 2
03. Everybody's Golf

Massive back log of games, still haven't played..... Evil Within 2, South Park, Shadow of War along with still playing some games that are 1-2 years old.
Last edited by guttermouth on 27 Jan 2018 03:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Re: 2017 Ranch GOTY

Post by GameHED »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:No particular order, just some of 2017's games I've picked up. Most for Christmas so I need more time to rate them:

Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC)
Dawn of War III (PC)
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC)
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PC)
CoD WW2 (PC)
Jaspar's Fractured But Whole (Xbox One)
Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
Total Warhammer 2 (PC)
AFL Evolution (Xbox One)
Destiny 2 (PC)
Well this is embarassing. Despite picking up the above this year I've only finished (various definitions of that word when it comes to games!) a handful. They are:

10. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC)

Suffered from some poor animations at launch (largely fixed) and a troubled development, Andromeda then ran head-long into the Raging Nutjob Vortex currently sweeping the Internet. Lefties picked up their protest signs over a clumsily-written transgender character and aspects of its storyline (WTF), while righties melted like snowflakes over some less-than-attractive female characters proving Bioware is run by a cabal of white-hating feminists. Or something. The same complaints they have with Star Wars really.

But it's a pretty good game and I'm annoyed we won't see the story wrap up in DLC. But there are two prequel novels already out, and I believe one on the way that will actually wrap up the storyline.

A sad end to my favourite series of the 360-era. Fuck you Internet, fuck you EA, fuck you all I'm naming it my GOTY. Bring on Dragon Age 4!

9. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC)

I don't really play online any more so the whole loot box thing doesn't affect me as much as others (I'm personally opposed to anything resembling pay-to-win. Cosmetic rewards are fine) but I have played through the single player campaign and enjoyed it a lot. It's a beautiful game, it looks and feels and sounds like Star Wars. Plenty of cameos from classic characters, I don't care if it's fan service or a sneak peak at their abilities for multiplayer, I got to be Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and Lando Calrissian and it was awesome. The space combat missions were a bit dull though, I would kill for a proper Star Wars space sim.

8. AFL Evolution (Xbox One)

After several patches this is far and away the best AFL game ever. Still a lot of room for improvement but I'm not sure how much of that is related to budget or the fundamental difficulties in translating AFL to a videogame.

Then the ones I'm playing through at the moment:

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PC)

I have a feeling this will be my actual GOTY but I only just got it for Christmas so I'm not far enough into it to make that call.

CoD WW2 (PC)

I haven't enjoyed CoD this much for years so again this would feature quite highly but like Wolfenstein I only just got it for Christmas.

The ones I've played a handful of times but haven't been able to get into for various reasons:

Dawn of War III (PC)

I've been looking forward to this one for YEARS but it just hasn't clicked :( I'll finish it eventually but I ploughed through the first two (and their expansions) as soon as I got them. Not so with this one :(

Breath of the Wild (Wii U)

My PC and Xbox One are in my study, and I just can't be arsed playing the consoles in the other room half the time :lol: Crappy excuse but oh well. The main reason I picked it up was because I'm hoping the Wii U version will become a bit of a rarity :P

Destiny 2

Was really getting into it (the single player campaign) nek minnit a swarm of baddies that seemed a lot more powerful than me swarmed all around me and killed me as I was trying to get to the next level. Like they wouldn't even let me start the next mission becasue they were all over the checkpoint I had to get to and my guns would barely scratch them and I kept running out of ammo. WTF? I wasn't even in a mission I was just trying to get to the next one. I don't understand. Haven't played since.

And the ones I have yet to play because I'm still playing their predecessors:

Total Warhammer 2 (PC)
Jaspar's Fractured But Whole (Xbox One)

So:

9. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC)
8. AFL Evolution (Xbox One)

Last year was better.
Mass Effect Andromeda actually is controlled by SJWs. But even if it wasn't it is still crap.

I think you need to understand Ambrose that the people behind star wars of today openly admit 'the force is female' and these 3rd wave feminists hate the 'toxic masculinity' of the male leaders of society. So trying to deny that these left wing nutjobs have infiltrated gaming culture and other culture (comic books) is silly when the people gloat about the fact that they are putting SJW propaganda into stories deliberately. You can like ME Andromeda. But I think you need to be educated about this issue because ever since gamergate scandal where corrupt journos were involved in givgin high scores to shit games because the creator of the games slept around with the critics, these SJWs are working extra hard to take over these cultures as part of cultural marxist plot.

You are the nutjob here. Prove to me that Kathleen Keneddy is not a feminist/SJW and that she DOESN'T have a anti-male agenda. Then you get the public's respect. Prove they are NOT shitting on the lore of Star Wars deliberately in a quest to destroy 'the patriarchy' (white guys who are hetero sexual, christian, libertarian, masculine etc) . Show me why we should just believe things on the face of it without evidence.
SJWs are cultural marxists. They do not want messages that go against the feminist narrative. The feminists want to attach themselves to male-dominated spaces (sporting, comics, scifi, games etc) And denying they don't exist is like saying there is no such thing as the mafia or underground criminals. The burden of proof rests on you to prove to us we are the nutjobs. Ever since Trump's win, soros and the globalists are desperate to kill the leadership that is going against them. Think of it like anyone else that is not in line with the reptilian they see as obstacles and get taken out of power of influence. We know the game. That's why the new star wars movies will probably involve people who have force powers but who do not need to be jedi or sith. It's the message of 'inclusivity'. Burning the temple signals the end of the jedi forever and Luke was the last jedi that dies. From here on there are not going to be any ranks. Just random children with powers who can have as little or as much power they wish without needing any knowledge education or skill developd over time. The SJW believe that anyone can do anything they want without any effort required to achieve the thing they wish to do. And it's nonsense. If you wish to be good at anything you practice, train, work hard, think harder, make smarter decision and improve over time. You don't have this in new star wars movies anymore because the political groups have taken over the stories. lol That is not to say you can't still have political messages in the movies, but the way they did it is dumb. And the reason the user critic score of The Last Jedi is in such stark contrast to the paid critics. (who let's be honest are just shills for the industry heh) is because most people prefer story where characters earn their skill and develop toughness through challenges they face in the story not start out overpowered with no struggle. It's just bad storytelling as many have pointed out. And if Star Wars could be as good as the marvel stuff then disney wouldn't be getting such hate right now. But they made dumb decisions and it's going to cost them like the ghostbusters movie which tried to pander to little girls who pretty much hate boys stuff and probably hate the idea that they are being targeted by the companies on purpose to push a political agenda. Once people realise they are being used and exploited they get angry at the manipulators.
In a nutshell this guy is saying he supports the equal representation (think of 90s x-men where you have roughly equal male and female characters that are competent) but not FORCED DIVERSITY. Normal diversity already exists in comic books and other male spaces. IE if someone has the merit and their performance is to a certain standard they get the job regardless of gender. Now what these new feminists want is not EQUAITY. It's FORCING diversity by getting white guys kicked off their existing job which they earned through merit, and replacing them with females regardless of their skills/performance etc. That's what people are against. I think the difference is one just says you can't discriminate against people because of their gender/sex/race etc. The other says, "let's discriminate against the majority race that is IN POWER and let those with less power FORCIBLY take over things." The latter is evil, plain and simple. And this is the problem I have been trying to explain to GCF: people like diversity (otherwise X-men wouldn't be popular would it?) They just don't want FORCED DIVERSITY. You should not be able to kick a white guy from his job simply for being white. And simply because white people have power. It should be because he sucks at his job. Otherwise you are being racist ok? You just don't understand the argument of the sane people of society so you call us all nutjobs lol When in fact it's people like you that are insulting the minority groups. The minority doesn't want you to hand them free things like jobs without needing to earn it. They want people to judge them based on the performance only. By saying 'you should just be given the job because you are from a race that isn't in power' you are in fact insulting them by saying they need to cheat the system because they are not good enough to just get a job based purely on their skill as a worker. And the minority groups are waking up to the SJWs who are trying to trick and manipulate them just so they can keep their political leader in power forever and ever. Well too bad. You may not like Trump but a lot of people probably voted for him as a vote AGAINST Hilary, not because they necessarily like him that much. Something to think about while on the crapper playing Zelda BOTW...
Fuck Dragon Age, Pillers of Eternity 2 is what you should care for. EA will just fill it with lootboxes like a shitty mobile phone game lol
Last edited by GameHED on 08 Jan 2018 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Have you bought a Switch yet GameHED?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Am I done with zelda BOTW? AKA GOTY 2017 :wink:

The young people are waking up to misandry in hollywood:
The next movie should be a prequel covering the knights of Ren and Luke becoming weak after his balls were chopped off. This can be the apology movie.
Last edited by GameHED on 08 Jan 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

The reason I’m asking is because you mentioned several Switch games in your GOTY list.
GameHED wrote:Zelda BOTW
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Horizon ZD
Nier Automata
YS 8
Yakuza 0
Pillars of Eternity complete edition
Metroid Samus Returns
Prey

Other stuff which I had hard time taking off list:
Persona 5 (farewell ps3, much like zelda BOTW, they save the best for last..)
Mario Kart 8DX
Tekken 7
Okami HD (came out just in time for ps4)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

My nieghbor also hardcore gamer owns a switch which I helped buy for him as a christmas gift. I play the games with him and we both share the same taste in games. (accept he doesn't have as wide a range of taste as I do. Tried to get him into monster hunter but he is still a COD guy)

If the question is: did gamehed play those games then yes I played the games.

I also have a ps4 pro and going to be buying an xBOX one X. But as I have stated I don't buy my stuff on launch. I wait about 1 year to 2 years before I dip in. Still play Wi U regularly compared to the other two. (I see Zelda BOTW as a Wii U game and not a Switch game which you assumed people need to play it. Probably because Jasper has constantly been trying to pimp buying that version over the Wii U one)

Does that piss you off? Trying to take me on and lose? Do you want to fight me now? LOL Must be because I shit over Witcher 3 all the time by explaining that it has shit controls compared to Zelda. Look you can take as many swings as you want but I'm not backing down. I play games from all platform not just PC or a single console brand. When I see a shit thing in a game I can't help point it out. You can disagree but you are not going to convince me it doesn't exist. It's important to be honest and truthful. No emotion is attached to what I say. I want to see them all suceed but not if they get lazy and make easy to correct mistakes. (eg the forced waggle in Odyssey which like Dnkey Kong on Wii could be taken out as requirement.

Don't forget I have large range of taste: games that you guys think suck (like Zelda for not having NPC in it to talk to like a RPG game) I think are great simply due to my focus on whether a game feels like you can play it. If you put in stuff that is not gamey related, I notice this and one of the reasons I miss the 80s is because modern game design tells you everything and this is insulting to the player. Why doesn't everyone list Asscreed as the goty2017? Because it's an ubisoft game which lists what you should do rather than you having to find out what to do. We miss games being games not chore simullators.
Do you get jealous of nintendo getting lots of praise? I want to know why? You mention that in order to list a game you have to be the owners of the game but have you ever considered with EBgame rental you are able to try many different games right? It's the reason they pack games with DLC and prices of games go down months oafter release to stop second hand games being traded in early and/or resold by retailers instead of people buying new copy. (but note that high quality games never get put in secondhand bins because they are amazing unless the person needed to pawn something in because of needing money quickly or something like this)

So it's possible to say buy a game like splatoon 2, play it, decide it's not as fun as another game and return and exchange it for something you like?

Gotcha bitch! :lol: Not everyone is a 'digital only' retard that lives in a remote cave and thinks physical is doomed. Most want to own the games they buy and they take advantage of the flexibility this gives. (the way developrs avoid loss of sales is to make games with expansions that are good such as mario kart 8 DLC to keep them from getting bored) Because of this I end up playing wider variety of stuff than usual. Too bad steam doesn't allow digital secondhand sales of your library to others... :P
Last edited by GameHED on 08 Jan 2018 01:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Oops, hope we're still taking votes:

10pts - Super Mario Odyssey
9pts - Nier Automata
8pts - Legend of Zelda: BotW
7pts - Destiny 2
6pts - Uncharted: Lost Legacy
5pts - Monument Valley 2
4pts - Crash Trilogy
3pts - Yooka Laylee

Like a lot of others I've either been playing older games, or haven't played enough of other 2017 releases to really make a call. Just about to dive into Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Edit: Installed and updated Horizon then started and finished Uncharted instead. :lol:
Last edited by Gamma on 23 Jan 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yes we are! I'm going to give it another week or so, I know I'm personally working through a bit of a backlog from 2017.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Last year I announced the winner on Australia Day, seemed to work well, the extra month after Christmas :aussie:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It works!
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Sigh... I hardly played any new games in 2017 due to work and family etc.. The only new game that I played was South Park: Fractured But Whole - this is the only game that I am voting for.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

10. Forza 7
9. AC Origins
8. Sonic Mania
7. FIFA 18
6. Ashes Cricket
5. Zelda BotW
4. Insects

Yeah I don't play games much any more.
Ambrose Burnside

What's Ashes Cricket like?

Ending with:

9. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC)
8. CoD: WW2 (PC)
7. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC)
6. AFL Evolution (Xbox One)
Last edited by Ambrose Burnside on 11 Feb 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Rorschach wrote:Have to have a longer think later but number 1 is definitely Persona 5.
Tried to think of a list of games that reflected the year I had but didn't get to play as much as I did due to work.

1. Persona 5
2. Destiny 2 (PC)
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Zelda BOTW
5. Wolfenstein II
6. Mario Kart Deluxe
7. Cuphead
8. Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap
9. Endless Space 2
10. Nier Automata

That was a struggle as I focused my attention on less games this year. Destiny in particular is a massive time sink for me.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:What's Ashes Cricket like?
It's not a terrible cricket game. Only played it a bit at my mates over new boxingday/new years period. I dominated with Cooky so it is as realistic as my experince at the boxing day test watching him domimate with clinical defensive shots.

Graphics are super soft so it kinda looks like an ok xbox 360 game lol.
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

1. Destiny 2
2. Sonic Mania
3. Marvel Vs Capcom Inifnite
4. Yakuza 0
5. Horizon Zero Dawn
6. Nex Machina
7. PUBG

That is all I really had time to play this year. :(
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
Ambrose Burnside

Who won?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Yakuza 0
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I just ran the numbers and it was Ninja Gaiden 2
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

FINAL SCORES

Horizon - 60
Zelda BoTW - 59
Mario Odyssey - 57
AC: Origins - 37
Persona 5 - 36
Sonic Mania - 35
Destiny 2 - 33
Yakuza 0 - 33
Nex Machina - 25
Wolfenstein 2 - 22

Congrats Horizon - the 2017 Games Ranch Game of The Year!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Congrats Horizon, what a great game it was to play.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

It was also awarded best writing by Writers Guild.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... me-writing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;