The retro thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

klee123

Re: The retro thread

Post by klee123 »

unfnknblvbl wrote:Can you imagine how big an FPGA Neo*Geo would have to be just to not fall over from the weight of the enormous cart?
I'm sure a system with a nice sturdy base would do wonders.

Heck, add a CD Drive as well for good measure.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

klee123 wrote:We're really due for a FPGA type of system for Neo geo CD/AES.

Also, nice AES collection Candy! I thought you had Mark of the Wolves though.
Had the chance to around 6 years ago for a measly $500, turned it down.

Not a smart move given it's now 2k on EBay for an original version...
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Yeah, I bought mine for $600 a few years ago and prices have skyrocketed.

Just retro gaming in general has gone bonkers.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I would probably say NOT buying it when I did was my dumbest gaming move in the past 15 years.

Problem is now I want to add it to the collection in a big way, but 2k is a painful price tag compared to what I should have bought it for :(
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

My Retro Receivers finally arrived. They sent the wrong fucking ones, and I have to wait another month for the right ones, ffs.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Oh god ever since I've gotten my Mega SG, I've been trying to hunt for Japanese MD games.

Issue is that a lot of them are so ridiculously expensive. Some of them are approaching Neo Geo AES levels pricing (4 digits).

It's just insane.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Monster World IV get and have Gunstar Heroes on the way.

Will post a pic of all of my recent retro purchases soon.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Candy Arse wrote:It's [the MegaSD] exactly as good as you want it to be!
My Mega Everdrive Pro finally showed up today, and yes, it's fucking amazing. It blows my mind that not only does it play Mega CD games off a cartridge, it also emulates a NES.

Black magic.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
klee123

Post by klee123 »

I have considered these flash carts, but yeah...........$300+ just to play CD titles is really a hard sell for me since

1. I prefer to use that cash on real MD carts.
2. I have jailbroken my SG to play MD roms anyways.

Who knows, maybe when the price drops more I may consider it.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I get where you're coming from. I'd totally make the same argument if the ex hadn't chucked out all my games and hardware when we moved to Tasmania. Now if I want to build up my old collection, it'll be thousands of dollars that I don't have. Meanwhile, I have a complete collection of every ROM and CD image, soooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Hang on Unfunk, what? I hope your collection was thrown out by mistake.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I get where you're coming from. I'd totally make the same argument if the ex hadn't chucked out all my games and hardware when we moved to Tasmania. Now if I want to build up my old collection, it'll be thousands of dollars that I don't have. Meanwhile, I have a complete collection of every ROM and CD image, soooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, can definitely understand that. Definitely stings though with losing your entire collection though, sorry mate.

It's a bad time to start collecting too right now as well due to the ridiculous prices of retro gaming in general.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

t0mby wrote:Hang on Unfunk, what? I hope your collection was thrown out by mistake.
I'm... Not sure about that. To be honest, I did leave for Tasmania two weeks before her, leaving her with a bunch of stuff to do. But then, I also didn't explicitly say I didn't want it disposed of.

Let's just say the whole Tasmania jaunt was a very stressful experience, and it's frankly amazing I'm around to tell the story.

In another note, I stayed up til 2am this morning playing Mega CD games. I haven't stayed up that late playing games in years!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Which MCD games? That console might be the most underrated ever. Absolute gem of a platform.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I've not had the time to completely unpack my collection into the right format, but my picks so far have been Flashback (although I think it's better on Megadrive), Jurassic Park, Ecco (the music!), and Dune. I fucking love that last one.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Agree that Flashback is better on the MD. The cut-scenes in the MCD version are inferior and take away from the aesthetic.

I'm also a BIG fan of the Dune game. It's really good stuff.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

https://www.analogue.co/duo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Getting one of these!
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Yeah I am seriously considering one too, despite owning a heavily modded Duo R with RGB output.

My only concern is perhaps the controller port on the side, but then again, the 8bitdo controllers sound nice.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Anyone here ever dared to venture into the world of playing Arcade PCBs at home via Superguns?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I ordered a Retroid Pocket 2 a while back.
I checked the tracking, and it was delivered on Friday. Damn things been sitting in the mailbox through rainaggedon.
Doubt I'll get much time with it until the weekend, but definitely will be providing impressions.
Kinda wish i'd got the orange one now.

RIGHTEOUS FURY
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

That looks cool as. Where did you order it from?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, this is retro gaming I can handle. None of the time, space, money and effort involved. Much respect to the guys in this thread that do it properly though.
https://www.goretroid.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$90US.
There are tons of videos on YouTube about it.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I got a PlayGo - a similar device - a few months back, and it was a fun distraction for a few weeks. The things are seriously underpowered though; a 1GHz single core MIPS processor running a custom Linux OS called Dingux.
I tried powering up mine with no SD card installed yesterday, and now it's dead :(

Edit: forgot to mention on of the volume buttons broke. Not the plastic bit, but the switch itself. I hope yours is of better build quality!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Eh. $90.
It seems quite nice so far. Definitely not for those not prepared to tinker and look up stuff online. Couldn't find or figure out where the pre-installed games were for a while. I think once I get it configured how I want it, it'll be more settled.
To be honest, my biggest motivation is for Megadrive shooters like Gynoug/Wings of Wor, and Thunderforce.
The screen is nice quality and sharp, but maybe a little too small for my liking. I'll have to get my good reading glasses out. I had a bit of play with Tekken3 (PS) and Mario64, and they both run surprisingly nicely.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

That looks a little like the Analogue Pocket that is being released (and I am buying) next year.