Comics!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Comics!

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just a heads up, the Halo comic is out this weekend in HC version.
The HGN is a 128-page, full color, high quality, jacketed, hardcover graphic novel. It features an anthology of original stories, including one lengthy story, and three shorter tales.
You should be able to pick it up from comic stores for between $35-$40.

There are a few TP's out this weekend too from the looks of things... uh Spike hey cool.
This special trade paperback presents the sold-out 'Spike: Old Times,' written by Peter David (Fallen Angel), as well as Scott Tipton's 'Spike: Old Wounds,' and 'Spike: Lost & Found' in one attractive collection. All three tales feature photorealistic art from artist Fernando Goni.
No major new series' or anything starting up.

I might as well try and keep release stuff up to date for people who are interested :D
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

I got the Halo graphic Novel last night. Still wrapped in plastic but it looks like a pretty good package. I'll read it on the weekend.

This weeks highlight for me is Batman #655. I'm not a big Grant Morrison fan, but this was a nice fun read!
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

I only pick my books up once a month but I look forward to Morrison's take on the dark knight
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah I go in about every 3-4 weeks.

Currently on my pick up list is:

Marvel

Squadron Supreme
Wolverine Origins

DC
American Way
All Stars Superman
All Stars Batman & Robin
Justice

I think I have a few sundries... My housmate also gets a lot fo stuff. Mostly just Marvel. He gets a lot of the Ultimate stuff which I am interested in.
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Marvel
Ultimate Spider-Man
Incredible Hulk
Looking to add Ultimatec V3 when it hits
CIvil War

DC
Superman and Action comics
Batman and Detective comics
All Star Superman
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

I read pretty much everything, but I am only enjoying a handful of titles lately.

Invincible
Fables
Queen And Cuntry
Detective Comics
Runaways
52 is okay...

Young Avengers just finished, but that was shit Hot. And the 1st issue of Wonder Woman was Awesome!
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
XBL ID: Juzbuffa1

Post by Juzbuffa »

My reading is pretty much restricted to Marvel:

X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Ultimate X-Men
Astonishing X-Men
Ultimates
Ghost Rider

And the new Transformers series from Image
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen through your eyes...

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just another quick look at the new stuff out this week.

From DC we have Creeper #1. Seems with all the rebooting in the universe they have decided to give Creeper a rebirth in a 6 part miniseries.

Also appearing this week is Absolute Kingdome Come HC edition ($135). This is the ultimate Kingdom Come comic.
This Absolute Edition is a whopping 340-page slipcased hardcover featuring a new wraparound image by Ross. Also included is an extended character sketch section, a peek into Ross's own sketchbook, text pieces by Waid and Ross, annotations of the entire series, rare art (from magazines, trading cards, T-shirts, the novel and more), promotional images, a gallery of DC Direct Kingdom Come product, the evolution of a story page, and much more!
From Marvel in the new lines we have Agents of Atlas.
In the late 1950's, The U.S. Government let FBI Special Agent Jimmy Woo forge a team of unlikely heroes: Together they stormed the fortress of a criminal mastermind to rescue President Eisenhower, and the group disbanded soon after. Now almost 50 years later, an unauthorized S.H.I.E.L.D. mission goes down in flames--and from the ashes arise forces from the GOLDEN AGE OF MARVEL!
It could be interesting...

The new Stargate Atalantis comic also starts this week. Seems to be dealing with the war against the Wraith.

Hopefully I can still find a copy of Halo this weekend...
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

The Halo GN was pretty damn good. I'm not that big of a Halo fan, but it defiently gets 2 thumbs up from me. You should still be able to find it around. I know Comics Etc still has a pile of them.

It's a great week for me this week! Absolute Kingdom Come, Ex Machina, Y The LAst Man, Invincible, Uncanny X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man!

Hot!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I might give The Creeper a try. I didn't mind the reworking of Vigilante although I did see the by midway through the first issue... Not too hard to see where it was going.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Actually the Marvel Zombies comic was spawned from the zombie story line in UFF. Zombie FF are the only zombies in the ultimate universe. Read the Zombie series to see what happens to the rest of them.

Wait... bugger... I just realised something. Read the zombie series and then speak to me again about this. bugger...
I was just asking cuz I dont like to go tracking down old comics and ending up with only bits and pieces of the story. Bit of a comic noob and I now I have to go tracking down the rest of the Spookshow international comics(huge fan, thats the series that got me into comics - which since is becoming the main part of my art/drawing), it'll cost bout $80 for me to get the 5 i dont have...I didnt want to have to repeat a similar thing with UFF/zombie.

I am more of a collection book/mini series/one off buyer for this reason. Like I said I am a bit of a noob and am still working out what comics are for me and what is out there. Dark horse and anything with zombies are normally my bag. But the last few weeks I have decided to get clued up on the comics I dont know much about and have been borrowing alot of the marvel/DC collections EDIT: from the library.

Being fairly new to comics about all I can recommend are these two:
Marvel 1602 - OUTSTANDING! Marvel in the year 1602. brilliant art and setting. The way the story is integrated into the marvel universe and real world history is really cool.

Rob Zombie Spookshow international - I just got these being a house of 1000 corpses fan and I knew they had back story on the firefly family. These have many different stories/series running simoultaneosly in each issue;lots of gore, zombies, booty and I find them to be funny(though selfish disagreed). They kind of make fun of the way comics are written at times. Just about everything about them is up my alley.

The Marvel mangaverse comics look awesome too, they are very fast paced. I have only read a bit of Xmen:ronin mangaverse, but I need to know more about Xmen:ronin before I can judge/recomend them properly.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

i'd like to get into comics but they always seem to cost too much
any suggestions?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Ultimates
Supreme Power

Heck, getting your hands on almost anything from the MAX range is a smart move. From the MAX range I can recommend Alias, which is now called The Pulse and The Punisher series. So damn over the top and awesome. Garth Ennis has a flair for over the top.

Preacher is a good series to get, more Ennis.

What do you think you would like reading? Do you want gritty or fun?
asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

I've never really been into comics, mostly due to the cost.

I did buy a copy of the graphic novel Maus though, it's got a pretty rough style of drawing, but I liked it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I read Maus and Maus II. Great story. You would find yourself just sitting and thinking between chapters...
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

If you want to get into comics, I actually suggest a series from Marvel called Runaways. Its the story of a group of Teenagers who discover their parents are some of the biggest villians in the Marvel Universe. The best thing about it, is it is excellent and cheap! Only like $14 for each TPB!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Wanted by Mark Waid is pretty good, but you have to know your superhero universes pretty darn well so you can recognise everyone.

Actually anything written by Mark Waid is a good read.

If you want to get what I consider to be the best bit of literature ever written, get a copy of Watchmen by Alan Moore. This is the bset thing I have ever read. I can't think of any novel, comic, text or whatever that has come close to this. It is brilliance. You should be able to get a softcover version at a decent price. $30 for the standard version, $140 for the collectors.
Reckers

Post by Reckers »

Didn't Mark Millar write Wanted?

Anyway, yes anything by Mark Waid is good.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Millar, my bad :D Dunno why I was thinking Waid... Waid wrote Birthright. Millar writes Ultimates.

ta.
Reckers

Post by Reckers »

Ultimates is awesome.

"Do you think this letter on my head stands for France?"
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'm currently reading through Constantine. I am up to Garth Ennis writing the series. Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon make the best team. I loved their work on Preacher and I am loving it in Constantine. Dillon just brings Ennis' over the top writing style to life. No need for the constant narrating, just bam in your face insanity :D
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I got my hands on the new Creeper comic this weekend. Blargh is all I can say. The original origin of the creeper is so much better. This new creeper is just blah, he just happens to grow the costume when the nanites are injected into him... boring...

Okay on to new comics this week.

Marvel Zombies in a HC format. $30

Penny Arcade Vol 2 should be about $20.

The new Martian Manhunter series starts this week.

Nothing too exciting I can see in the way of new stuff.

Looks as if they are doing the Ultimate Galactus saga in a four part series. They are upto the third book, Extinction. I really enjoyed the UG saga when it was first published. Getting it in 4 easy books would be a nice coup.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Ahahahaha....

Perfect Dark Janus Tears starts this week as well.

Written by Microsoft's own Eric S. Trautmann.

6 part series based in the universe of PD Zero.
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

Martian Manhunter was a bit blah Greywizzard. Good art but a bit slow and it didn't really seem like the Martian Manhunter thathas been around for the last 40 years.

Ultimate Galactus is a 3 part series. They are doing a spin off though staring Ultimate Vision. I haven't read the last 2, but the first one was pretty bland.

I missed Marvel Zombies in singles, so I will be getting the HC for sure.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

That is odd, I have the UG Saga here and it is through,

Ultimate Nightmare

Ultimate Secret

Ultimate Vision

Ultimate Extinction