Heads up regarding PS3 CFW: Sony can kill your console

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat
The Fury

Heads up regarding PS3 CFW: Sony can kill your console

Post by Pat »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ilbreaking
With the news that infamous iPhone hacker George Hotz has enabled homebrew via a custom firmware patch, speculation is now moving on to what Sony will do to stop unauthorised code running on the PlayStation Network. What exactly can the platform holder monitor from your machine and what steps can Sony take in banning you from the PlayStation Network?

First of all there's an important distinction in the unofficial hacker's "code of conduct" to be aware of: these guys believe that once you buy a machine, you own it and you have the right to run your own programs on it, even if the inevitable consequence of this (by their own admission) is that piracy becomes possible on what was previously a "backup"-proof system. However, hackers are equally adamant that the PlayStation Network, or Xbox Live for that matter, is a service that users subscribe to and for which they have no ownership rights at all. In short, if you do decide to run your own code on a system connected to such a service, you're on your own and should be prepared for the consequences.

Thus far, educated estimates put the amount of Xbox Live bans at well over one million consoles, accounting mostly for users who modified their DVD drive firmwares to run games burned onto DVD. However, Sony has been remarkably restrained in its response to the Jailbreak even though PSN has been vulnerable for some weeks over the last few months. Does the company have the tools to track Jailbroken consoles and if so, why haven't we seen the banhammer fall already?

First up, what does Sony know about what's going on with your console? It is true that when the PS3 boots up - whether you have a PSN account or now - the machine itself communicates with a string of Sony servers, as recently posted on NeoGAF, and a log of applications run on the system is almost certainly transmitted. Similarly, the game you're running at any given point also shows up on your PSN profile, and the chances are that if you run a game from within a "backup manager", then the manager - not the game - will be displayed attached to your PSN account.

According to the terms and conditions of the PlayStation Network, this effectively makes you fair game for a PSN ban of which many variations exist - a timed suspension or even a lifelong ban. The amount of access Sony has to your machine is greater than you probably suspect: the company even has the means to irrevocably disable your console should it so wish, and if that happens, it will remain non-functional whether you're online or offline.

However, despite the options Sony has available, to date there have been no ban waves that we've been aware of, despite Jailbroken consoles being easily detectable. Sony's approach has been very responsible - issuing security updates via new firmwares that automatically lock Jailbreakers out of the PlayStation Network as opposed to issuing outright bans. Sony effectively offers PS3 jailbreakers the opportunity to "go legit" in order to preserve their PSN access.

It was the right solution for its time: a system update is inconvenient for the end-user but for Sony it would be far more of an issue in dealing with the unwelcome publicity of a ban wave. Just the logistics of the customer relations element also makes this the most reasonable approach: why deal with thousands of emails, requests for info from the press and - yes - potentially banning a small amount of innocent users when a new firmware prevents any of this from happening?

Microsoft went the nuclear option with its various ban waves of course, but there is a difference between modifying DVD firmware and running a PS3 jailbreak: opening up your 360, re-flashing the drive and reassembling the machine demonstrates a singular purpose in running burned games. With the USB jailbreaks, all machines were vulnerable and any one could run the dongle on any machine whether they owned it or not. Sony may well have a list of "suspect" consoles, but arbitrarily suspending PSN access without a proof of sustained usage would be an over-reaction. As a knock-on effect, it would obviously stop these people spending money in the PlayStation Store. Updating new firmware and locking out the compromised systems while offering offenders the chance to "go legit" has clearly been the platform holder's MO thus far.

In the short term, expect to see Sony do exactly the same thing. Firmwares 3.42 and 3.5 worked in locking out Jailbroken consoles with the minimum of fuss. Hacks to get compromised consoles onto PSN were neutralised relatively quickly and you can expect the current access Jailbreakers have to PSN with Geohot's hacked software to be revoked imminently with a new system update.

In future firmwares, expect internal checks to be carried out during run-time and on boot to ensure the integrity of GameOS - these are trivial for Sony to code, invisible to the legitimate end-user and much more difficult to reverse-engineer. However, the long term challenge facing the platform holder is a lot stiffer now - the collapse of the security set-up means that any kind of code can be installed on any PS3.

Where Sony is going to face real difficulties is in preventing determined PSN cheaters from adjusting and patching their games. The latest hack isn't just about patching GameOS any more: jailbreakers can change map data, roll back patches and even adjust the game code and re-encrypt it to look like an official update. Determined cheaters could probably use DNS hacks to install suspect code on their console even without the requirement of a custom firmware in the first place. Over and above this, leaving GameOS to the mercies of the hackers could see them reverse-engineer the ways in which PSN games are purchased and activated on the console, opening up another wave of piracy Sony would rather not have to deal with.

The chances are that threats like this are just too big to ignore, and it's surely just a matter of time before Sony's current "soft touch" approach to dealing with Jailbroken PS3s on PSN becomes a thing of the past. If the situation escalates, expect that ban hammer to hit without warning: at the end of the day, running unapproved homebrew code of any description while connected to the PlayStation Network is just a really bad idea...
And just a heads up: pulling the network cable out isnt enough:

PS3 can and will auto switch to wireless network if your connection settings arent appropriately chosen
It appears that all current 'phone home' attempts by the system (including the one at boot-up regardless of whether you log in to PSN) are connecting to some *.playstation.net machine i.e. some machine in the playstation.net domain.

To this end I have blocked outbound connections to playstation.net (originating from machines other than my PC) in my router firewall (Tomato running on a Linksys WRT54GL).

However, what if there are other machines being contacted in other domains? Or some future firmware starts contacting other machines and updated custom firmware does not catch this?

This makes me consider blocking, in my router, all internet connection by my PS3's IP address. This would allow me to do local streaming and file sharing without worrying that my PS3 is talking to Sony.

Of course, if some Cydia or Homebrew Channel type app is released, I would want to whitelist the domain that it contacts.

Be wary, I pulled the plug once and discovered that my PS3 just switched to wireless automatically and grabbed an IP address from my router's DNS. Make sure wireless is turned off.
Use a static ip and don't fill the 'gateway & dns' fields in your ps3 ip configuration. By doing this your ps3 will never connect to the internet and can communicate in your lan.
So while PSN is expendable, a working system is not. :run:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Heads up regarding PS3 CFW: Sony can kill your console

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Banning from PSN is one thing, and I personally have no problem with that.

But killing a machine so it won't even work offline? They couldn't possibly do that. That would be an absolute PR disaster regardless of the Terms and Conditions.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Nath

Post by Nath »

Just like with the 360 hacks, bans from PSN were always a strong chance following a cracked firmware. But there is zero chance Sony would intentionally brick your system - they would be in all sorts of legal trouble for doing so.

They will also try to disable the hacks with future firmware updates and there is a chance an official update may cause problems when installing on top of a CFW, but surely anyone with a bit of common sense woudlnt blindly accept future updates from Sony without checking online to see if others have reported problems.

Also, auto switching to wireless wouldn't help the console get an Internet connection if you have any form of security turned on - it wouldnt know the key.
Last edited by Nath on 13 Jan 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

But killing a machine so it won't even work offline? They couldn't possibly do that. That would be an absolute PR disaster regardless of the Terms and Conditions.
they wont do it..just people jumping to conclusions

the same terms of service apply to PSP PSN yet...sony has yet to ban or even disable 1 handheld

also they are taking geohost to court if sony lose the jailbreak will be perfectly legal...like what happened with apple :lol:

im sure they will try to ban consoles off PSN but remotely disable them? i dont see that happening
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Nath wrote: Also, auto switching to wireless wouldn't help the console get an Internet connection if you have any form of security turned on - it wouldnt know the key.
There are two unsecure networks within range of my home, for example, so no matter how secure yours is someone else's might not be.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

heh, they are more likely to brick legit users consoles at random to get an extra sale. I expect to see this when Sony makes profit on a hardware sale. Who needs time bombs when they have a remote detonator?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

And someone will release a custom firmware that patches out these checks/safe guards. It's all just a cat and mouse game now and the best sony can do is prevent people having access to psn. But that's not a discouragement considering the attractiveness of the service and no doubt the hackers will figure a way to spoof data the system sends to psn to make detection even harder.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Killing the console is evil.

But the hackers should realise by now that sony and hackers are like a symbiote circle like the gungans and queen amidala's people.

The hackers provide a service to people who want to tinker with their systems, making the system attractive to people who just want to buy a console as a toy or gadget, and sony make the protection harder which gives the hackers more challenge (like providing more levels in a videogame through an expansion pack).

What sony get in return is more profits because people will buy two console (one legit and one hacking) doubling their sales. Similar to microsoft with their RROD scam to make xbots feel they got good value compared to wii console owners (who get arse raped on game prices too) and sony loyalists.

Dreamcast 2 needs to come out. Make it an open system, and have a model similar to the PC where all kinds of third party devices can be attached to it and programs that it was not designed to run be allowed to work on it. Release keyboards, mice, and educational software and it can become the console where the next sonic game can be exclusively made for. (no more bullshit let the fans make it, along with a streets of rage remake)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Hmmmm, this could be linked to the reptilian overlords and I think the green coloured font in Pats post confirms this.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Shit, t0mby's onto me. :secret:
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Fucking Jaja touches my trey and he's in for a world of hurt. :evil:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

This thread is one of the reasons why I pointed to the idea of in the future we will rent a console and then subscribe to a service to play games on it. When it breaks (ylod and RROD) you just brings it to your local sony or microsoft store (similar to apple store) and get the replacement there. Since you don't own the system (you subscribed to a service) microsoft and sony can do what they want to your console.

They are doing it to software. (you don't really have a right to let other people play it because only you have the exclusive right to play it when you signed somewhere)

Now they will do it to hardware. Possibly to stop people from using the system to create supercomputer (military does this to save money) or build something like a bomb. (many overheating RROD xbox360s taped together using knowledge gained from crafting items in falllout)

Beofre you guys laugh look at all the things that are considered "convenient". Were they invented to make life easier for you? or to save the greedy and lazy man at the top of the pyramid loads of money so they could get rid of the humans underneath them who they must pay money to in order to keep the machine going?

Bus tickets in brisbane for example: They are now going to punish people who use paper tickets by raising the cost of paper tickets by 15%. Why do they do this? In order to get people to use the Go Card and make it appear cheap relative to paper tickets (even if they have to artificially boost the cost of paper tickets to artifically make it appear like it is poor value).

Who does it benefit when everyone uses Go Cards and why are they even trying to push such an unsafe system onto us? (when machiens break down, you can get on free meaning loss in profits for the government and a waste of your tax-payer money as people exploit it) It benefits the busdrivers and government because now they can fine you if you don't scan the card when you get off. (this is somehting I think old ladies will do since their memories are poor and they are slower at moving) It's not meant to be convenient to you, but convenient to THEM.

I find it faster to buy a paper ticket which last a day, and take as many buses as I need to get from place to place. But these idiots want to phase out paper tickets which is more convenient to me. (because I don't have to scan when I get off. I can leave more quickly and save myself time transferring from bus to bus)

This is an example of how a things which is promoted as being more convenient is in fact MORE bothersome because it requires more effort on your part and puts the bus drivers out of a job. (now they only need one skill which is to drive, not know the fares from zone to zone or have information that can tell you about the services available if you want that info from them. They will eventually hire foreigners who can't speak english to drive the buses instead of people who are familiar with the layout of the roads and who can speak the language and can do maths properly to give you the correct change. They did it to telemarketing, so they'll do it to busdrivers. Just wait when busdriver go on strike, the government will bring in more foreigners or make buses that drive themselves later on in the future.)

You guys are dumb enough to bite it. You did it with locked content which you paid to unlock, you did it for horse armour, you bought xbox slim (which is similar to the Wii which is the GC in slimmer case) you bought into the waggle gimmick idea (people here who only play "hardcore titles" now suddenly helping to destroy the "hardcore gamers" future just because sony have a better version of waggle than nintendo now) ..... so you'll buy into the idea of a subscription-based console future which treats the console as a mobile phone-like device and is useless when it is not activated with online servers which check everything you are using it for in secret without your knowledge..

When guys like pat posted in green I thought of how sony in the past had the "sony timer", and used this to sell you the next model after 1 year. This concept is to make the existing thing you own more and more "disposable" so that you would keep coming back for more out of necessity. Not because you want to upgrade but because sony wants you to upgrade. It's the same idea with the bus tickets: raise the prices of paper tickets to artificially make the Go Card seem cheap and cost-saving. I will now not support that system because I see it as evil.

Both Sony and MS are working together and exchanging ideas on how to better rape their fans. Same iwth nintendo but I think they are not as secretive about it: they just overcharge you upfront. No hidden rapage in fine print.

"Remember ET and the fall of the videogame industry"

This may have been engineered. Over time quality got less and less until nobody could take it anymore. There are loads of "anti-video game" groups (same groups that were anti-comic books) that see games as killing simulators and would love to see the collapse of your hobby or at least tax you on playing the games in the belief that it is harmful to children. (even if it were so, it is the parent's job is to monitor it, not big brother to go and spy on our literature and prevent freedom of speech)

What these anti-game groups don't understand is there are school shooters trained through satanic mind control (monarch buttfly is the symbol they use) to carry out traumatic events to scare the public into giving up guns and their freedoms and also to ban things like videogames. The gamers take the blame, foot the bill, while the real issue is hidden or censored through the mainstream media who are against the game industry since they need it as a scapegoat for shootings to further the illuminati's agenda.

The same thing is happening in the entertainment industry:
http://tobefree.wordpress.com/2010/06/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... o-be-true/

(don't argue with me just watch the video)

britney spears is a victim of monarch mind control (no delta kill commands like the shooters though)

as was janet jackson who admitted she has the MPD in interview. And Lady Gaga is too far into it I reckon.

Whenever this is brought up people don't believe it. Just like the people who want to go back into the matrix because it looks prettier. You guys will complain "sony is arse raping the consumer", "microsoft is arse raping the consumer" but when people complain about it, "it's just business, they don't love you and are just making a profit." continuing to make excuses and watching as value and quality decrease as time goes on. "oh it's normal for games to have bugs because we have hard disks now, so there is no need to test games!" Maybe it was normal for pc gamers, but what made console gaming appealing was that it had the "nintendo seal of quality" and that meant you couldn't get stuck in a game and needing a cheat code system to help you get out of it due to the game being broken.

Games being broken is not "normal", you just sold your soul to the game console devil and forgot what the past was like when people were tougher on these things and generally free from getting taken advantage of. PC gamers are used to it because they have a platform that is several different bits taped together and expected to magically work due to all the standards. Consoles shouldn't have to put up with updates every 5 seconds, and needing to pay money to activate already-made-content. Can't we just go back to the days of expansion packs and big sequels after a long time of careful tuning and tweaking and polishing? This is healthy for the industry because it leaves some space on the shelves for innovating games instead of flooding them with the same crap all the time. As the giant merge together they gobble up all the little guys and the little guys become the slaves to them resulting in poorer quality products which are rushed to market untested and unsafe to run on your computer.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto